Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Snow / slippery downhill slopes

Country Flag
uk
Several years ago I had an automatic Discovery 3 which was fantastic in the snow, however if you drove down a slippery snow covered hill it was lethal unless you had Hill Decent engaged. I’ve not yet had the pleasure of driving my auto Collie on a steep slippery slope so how do they handle in those conditions given the lack of Hill Decent?

Old school - i like it! I think I'd maybe put it in 2 or L as well?

I've often wondered what the point of HDC is, when you could just do that? Is it just a gimmick?

Just about any vehicle can get away from you on a slippery snow covered hill.....physics takes over and even hill descent isn't going to save you if physics exceed available tyre grip.....
I've slid downhill in 10 tons of tractor with diff locks engaged.....I'd just driven down the same hill in my Mini Cooper (The proper one not a BMW) rally car with forest tyres on without a problem .
I've also gone downhill much faster than intended in a Tank on snow.... same rules apply

Yep Same as Grimbo... 7810 John Deer and 15tons of sugar Beet, Sliding gracefully down the hill towards the Farm every load... You got used to letting it do what it did. Then gather it all up at the last minute to swing into the Farm..... Auto Power gear box helped out a bit:auto-swerve:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A few years ago after a snow storm I was coming down Red Bank in the Lake District in my Auto D3 it was in low but it was sliding too much but after hitting the HD button calm was restored and it steadily crawled down with no drama, so I have always considered HD not to be a gimmick but a useful aid.

My 'Auto 100' caught me out on packed snow in a village in the hills a few years ago. It climbed up fine but on a down-hill right hander it all went pear-shaped. Both ends slid, steering did nothing and on tickover it was still driving. I probably should have pulled the handbrake on hard to slow the rear and try to get some steering from the front, but it did a slow spin into a lamp post :doh:. I am not a fan of automatics, had I been in the manual '90' I think I would have been fine as its much more controllable (and a ton lighter). Both are on BFG T/As - another life lesson !

Bob.

All HD does is utilise the ABS system to prevent wheel lock ups when you're not actually using the brakes. I'm going to throw a VC into the mix here, it proves it's worth for maintaining traction under power but wil it assist in hill decents at all?

i found ABS to be down right dangerous once the vehicle is in a all out slide and gathering pace.

before i launched the whole lot, i used to take out the ABS relay in winter.

Yep agree with above comment on ABS.....I've had more near goes in my Ducato on small country roads because of the ABS....if one front wheel locks on the mud or on the verge then the ABS takes the brakes off...only cadence braking can restore any order .... I can think of several instances where if it wasn't for the fact I've spent almost my entire driving career either off road or in often less than ideal conditions so took my foot off the brakes the ABS would have caused a crash rather than avoided one....
That said having encountered a huge stag tonight on our single track road that jumped the hedge straight in front of the car I am a huge fan of the massive brakes and no doubt complicated electronics on my wife's Merc E Class Estate ......... neither the 80 or any other car I've driven would have stopped like the Merc did....one happy Stag , one happy me who didn't have to explain to the wife why the car was modified ....

I suppose that points to the purpose of ABS, not really to stop you much faster, but to allow you some form of steering control while you try to stop, so you can try to avoid whatever obstacle has found itself in your path. That doesn't work so well on compact snow and ice because the friction level can be almost nil

I've never had an issue with ABS in snow, ice or anywhere else TBH, even when forcing deliberate wheel lock ups. I can see it's unsuitability for off road use, all new road bikes now come with ABS and but those designed with dual on/off road use in mind have the ability to switch off the ABS. It's aimed at the "stand on the brakes" driver and ABS operation and sensitivity will differ between vehicles. Modern systems will (should) be an advance on that fitted to an old 80 series. A malfunctioning system is obviously a different matter.

Wife's Merc sports estate has some kind of electric brake assist....I didn't have time to steer just hit the brakes.....the thing just stopped like it had hit a wall , no drama , no abs activation , no skid....
Whatever little gremlin lives in the bit between the brake pedal and the big multi piston calipers..... he his my new best friend

Thats a good built in gadget for once that works !
The more best friends the better, in the stopping department

+1

Mercedes BAS on my old S class (long gone) saved me a couple of times as well!

I have never heard the abs rattle when it might help instead i swear at it every time because it created a danger that didn't exist before it decided to help me .

On anything other than moderate city type downhills you're better off shifting to 2nd if your speed allows it - in drive (D) especially with long downhills or steep ones with bends you'll be doing a LOT of braking which you really want to keep in reserve if SHTF. We went down a steep twisty mountain road in drive when we first got the car (I was an auto virgin almost) and I had to use all my force on the brake going round one corner, was quite scary TBH.

That said in 2nd or Low the engine braking is really quite reasonable. I've done a long mountain downhill (10km) in my auto 90 with no issues and that was towing a 1 ton camper trailer with the car full to the brim with camping stuff. I just followed behind a truck going slow downhill in 2nd using light braking or light throttle to keep progress/distance.

Back