Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Soaking footwells. Please help!

nevets

Footwells started to get wet so I Lifted the carpets and its really soaking underneath. I checked the drain holes in the sunroof and disconnected the pipes and poured water down both. I cant find where the pipes end/drain-off but water is running out of the sills under the front doors just behind the mudgaurds. This does not seem correct place for the water to drain and i was expecting to find drainplugs or a pipe-end but no sign of them.

So i dont think its the sunroof thats making my footwells so wet as the water IS draining out from the sunroof, through the sills???:wtf:

So i am stuck. Anyone had a similar problem?

It could be your AC or more than likely a faulty windscreen rubber/installation. Have you had a new windscreen fitted at some point and if not has the PO. Check to see if the windscreen is original Toyota glass.

also check the grommets that wires are fed through, from the engine compartment.
i had water getting in this way, i resealed the grommet and it has been fine since

If its anything like the 70 series, then front sunroof drain hoses end inside the sills, and the water then drains out of a bung in the sill. :think:

Thanks for the info. I striped everything down and checked all the possibilities and then tested with some nice hot black coffee. I'm leaning towards the windscreen because that was the only place i was getting the black stuff in and finding its way down to the footwells. Must say i was surprised how bad the leak was. Going to re-seal it tomorrow so i'll let you know if it solved the problem. I'm all ears so if anyone can suggest other possible culprits then let me know.

When i took the roof lining off around the sunroof, underneath it there was two copper pipes about 7mm diameter. They look like aircon pipes but It would be a strange place for them, just not sure what else they could be. Any ideas???

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What model do you have?

Ah ok, cool. Might be worth putting in your signature for reference.

Thought if it was an 80 there is a known problem area but doesnt affect you.

Footwells started to get wet so I Lifted the carpets and its really soaking underneath. I checked the drain holes in the sunroof and disconnected the pipes and poured water down both. I cant find where the pipes end/drain-off but water is running out of the sills under the front doors just behind the mudgaurds. This does not seem correct place for the water to drain and i was expecting to find drainplugs or a pipe-end but no sign of them.

So i dont think its the sunroof thats making my footwells so wet as the water IS draining out from the sunroof, through the sills???:wtf:

So i am stuck. Anyone had a similar problem?

Hi nevits

I don't know if this will help, but after a conversation with a friend earlier who opened his door to find 4" of water in the footwell (admitting in a Audi) he
found the problem to be blocked drain holes with leaves under the bonnet just under the scuttle, he cleaned these out and had no more problems.

Might be worth a look !

Andy, I see your location as Abredeen. Do you know of any good garages for working on Landcruisers. I'm down near Glasgow/Edinburgh.
also check the grommets that wires are fed through, from the engine compartment.
i had water getting in this way, i resealed the grommet and it has been fine since

nevets, I have an 80 and have been chasing sunroof leaking problems for weeks.

I had read on here about windscreens also letting in water so today while out bimbilng along at 50mph I pushed the screen with my thumb and guess what..... foly huck :shock: the screen moved forward and you could physically hear the wind coming in :shock: I think have now certainly confirmed the water isn't coming through the sunroof at all.

Not sure if the screens on the 100 are bonded, if they aren't then give it the 'thumb test' :thumbup:

Paul, I think the "thumb test" is a good idea as mine pushed out really easily but after I changed my rubber (80 series so not bonded) the windscreen barley moves. Also bone dry footwell carpets now, slowly getting rid of the rest of the damp now...

Yeah, I think the windscreen was the culprit. I've resealed it and in the process of trying dry the cab out. Once its all dry i'm going to test everything to double check for leaks. Still cant find-out what the copper pipes are in the roof under the roof lining???

Soaking footwells are sometimes the result of your factory roof rack mounting holes leaking. I know this from experience. You have to remove the torx head bolts, douse them in silicone and reinstall them while wet with silicone. Also, those copper tubes house your cables for your sunroof.

I had this problem for a long time, until I finally realized what was wrong (at least what was wrong in my specific situation). I noticed that after a strong rainstorm, I would hear swishing of water in the area of my driver's side running board whenever I would accelerate or brake. One time, when I was braking, I actually looked down at the carpet and saw it swell up with water. The footwell of my driver's seat was completely drenched that time and any time it would rain hard for quite some time. I got underneath the car, and if you look carefully, you'll see a series of rubber stoppers every few inches along the body of the car next to the running board, but not on the running board itself. They are a bit difficult to access, but a leatherman or other pair of needlenose pliers are what I use. You need to open up the stoppers and let the water drain out of whatever that thing they're attached to is called. Keep in mind that if you're parked uphill, you should drain one of the plugs in the back, and vice-versa for downhill (though if you're under the car you should be on a flat surface, unless you use some chocks). After doing this after pretty much every heavy rain, I finally decided to just permanently remove the rearmost plug. Now, all I really have to do is try to find a place where I can park facing uphill if my car is going to be parked for a long time.

Back