Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Spare wheel advice needed

Mick W

Country Flag
great_britain
So I have set of Cobra wheels on my Collie running with 265x70R16 General Grabber AT tyres. The spare is an original Toyota 6JJ wheel with a 215x80R16 tyre. Would it be ok with this set up (for emergencies) as I'm unlikely to be able to find another Cobra wheel to match the others. Advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

They is around 4% difference in radius between the 2 tyre sizes is this to much, not sure myself but it would be way better if they were the same size for sure

Thanks David. Probably the offset as well. Doesn't make for a good outcome and don't want to find out when I've a puncture!
Have looked at wheel/tyre packages but for five it starts getting a little pricey. The other thing I'm not sure about is whether a wider wheel/tyre like I have on the vehicle would actually fit on the spare wheel bracket. Know what I'll need to check tomorrow.

Just compared the two tyre sizes Thanks @David . Huge difference that could make the vehicle unstable even for a short emergency. Certainly don't want to be hundreds of miles from home with this set up.
1591136016911.png

Post a pic of your Cobra wheel, I might have something down the yard, Not sure if iv got 16 or 17"....Il have a look later.... Iv got a decent Collie wheel with good tyre, Im sure is a 265 70 16....Il Tek a Photo.....

Post a pic of your Cobra wheel, I might have something down the yard, Not sure if iv got 16 or 17"....Il have a look later.... Iv got a decent Collie wheel with good tyre, Im sure is a 265 70 16....Il Tek a Photo.....
Thanks Higgy :thumbup:

Attachments

• IMG_2287.JPG
    IMG_2287.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 25
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No! sorry i dont have any thing like that, But i have a 265 70 16 collie wheel with Falken Landair tyre (pics 1 and 2)

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    398.6 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    392.9 KB · Views: 24
I have a set of 4 x 20" Acerta 6 spoke...And a set of 17".. If anyone else is interested (sorry to thread jack your post) ....At least the collie Tyre size will match your Cobra's if you ever need the spare in an emergency... Im sure the 17" are Cobras, But they look a little different to yours

Attachments

• DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    328.8 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    358.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Is your cobra wheel 16x8 with a zero offset same as 80 wheels by any chance ?

Is your cobra wheel 16x8 with a zero offset same as 80 wheels by any chance ?
To be honest Shayne I'm not sure of the offset of these wheels they were on the Collie when I bought it but are 16". The only markings/stamps on the inside of the wheel are 1006001 and 15-0. The original wheels are ET15 but these might be ET0 or more as the outside wall aligns with the outside of the vehicle body wheel arch.

I know it's not advised but I still have the stock 31" inch tire on my 90, and run 33" tires at present. When I had 32" tires all round, I had a puncture and had to use the spare 31" on a 1000 mile trip back home. I kept the speed at 70 mph the entire way and didn't notice any problems, but definitely would have preferred to have the exact same tire spare on such a trip. I would assume the Diff/transfer case is what would be working harder.

Back