Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Speedo change

hopeless wanderer

Country Flag
england
Well there seems to have been a change of plan . It seems Brenda will be doing a Cpt James Cook and is going to be taking a boat to New Zealand.
I need to change the speedo to KPH and wondered is it just a straight swap and the new speedo will be accurate , Or is it more complicated than that ?
As it stands she just sits still in the UK (I've done less than 10k in 3 years) the insurance is pretty high compared to NZ and if get more use out of her here.
Anyone know any cheap car shippers ?

Well there seems to have been a change of plan . It seems Brenda will be doing a Cpt James Cook and is going to be taking a boat to New Zealand.
I need to change the speedo to KPH and wondered is it just a straight swap and the new speedo will be accurate , Or is it more complicated than that ?
As it stands she just sits still in the UK (I've done less than 10k in 3 years) the insurance is pretty high compared to NZ and if get more use out of her here.
My 81 has a Km/h speedo and it was changed to Mph with the addition of a small gearbox. If it was a straight swap I'd consider swapping mine with yours if it has Mph and Kmh. I have a feeling it's the speedo not the sender that either reads in Km or M. Maybe someone can confirm or otherwise.

On the shipping, @mussy may be able to help.

If you have a UK speedo fitted then does it not have a KPH reading in smaller script than the MPH reading?
I like to use the sat nav for kph when I do go to the continent.

If you have a UK speedo fitted then does it not have a KPH reading in smaller script than the MPH reading?
I like to use the sat nav for kph when I do go to the continent.

:text-+1:

I would say get a KM speedo face and strip the binnacle down and swap and try. I tried every which way to get a MPH speedo to work in my 24V auto but found quite a few differences in the electrics on the back. If I put the complete binnacle into a UK 80 it doesn't work.

I would say get a KM speedo face and strip the binnacle down and swap and try. I tried every which way to get a MPH speedo to work in my 24V auto but found quite a few differences in the electrics on the back. If I put the complete binnacle into a UK 80 it doesn't work.
I'm sure I have a kph Speedo face in my paperwork from my import 12v. If its any use to you I'm happy to post it to you foc.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm sure I have a kph Speedo face in my paperwork from my import 12v. If its any use to you I'm happy to post it to you foc.

20171005_224942.jpg 20171005_224939.jpg

I

I've just checked with the NZTA and it seems it's fine as it is. I just need to wire in the high level brake light and she is all good to go
Ah gone are the beetle days where the speedo was ran by a cable to the hub.

If you want KPH as well, most sat/nav units give the speed as well as mapping or any GPS unit will give speed. Some of the Scan tools you can plug in give speed readouts, that's if your car has OBD2 or similar (petrol 80's and 1HDTs) but you may find the system is not compatible on the older versions.

Hi all.

Just getting ready to start the shipping process and i have a question..
Do our cars have a eec whole vehicle compliance sticker as regards to emissions approval ?
If so where the hell is it ?

I do seem to recall that the 24 valve engine with EGR complies with Euro 2 regulations, also does not require a catalytic converter in the exhaust.

Don't these vehicles predate the emissions regs?

I Think they do but wondered if they had started early as these things take a while to implement.
Im pretty sure its ok as i see a lot of Jap imports running around. Just thought id get all my ducks in a row before sticking her on the boat.

NZ are anal about the cleanlininess of imported goods so be sure to get it cleaned adequately to avoid a world of aggro when it gets inspected.

NZ are anal about the cleanlininess of imported goods so be sure to get it cleaned adequately to avoid a world of aggro when it gets inspected.

Cheers for the tip, I'm gonna go mad and have it gleaming, get rid of the spiders in the mirrors etc

Extremely valid point. This should including any shovels, axes or other equipment that can have mud on it. Any untreated wood that is Non fumigated or untreated (varnish or paint) would be disposed or returned to sender at your cost. Remember this includes any material used for chocking the wheels in the container. Also chocking the wheels is not enough, ratchet straps should be used to hold the vehicle down via tow points etc. Too many times we have seen vehicles wheels chocked properly only to have jumped vertically while on the high seas!

Extremely valid point. This should including any shovels, axes or other equipment that can have mud on it. Any untreated wood that is Non fumigated or untreated (varnish or paint) would be disposed or returned to sender at your cost. Remember this includes any material used for chocking the wheels in the container. Also chocking the wheels is not enough, ratchet straps should be used to hold the vehicle down via tow points etc. Too many times we have seen vehicles wheels chocked properly only to have jumped vertically while on the high seas!

Cheers Mussy
Thanks for the advice, I certainly don't want her bouncing around like a pea in a whistle, i wouldnt have considered it at all but will fasten her down tight.

Cheers Mussy
Thanks for the advice, I certainly don't want her bouncing around like a pea in a whistle, i wouldnt have considered it at all but will fasten her down tight.

I have shipped my vehicle 4 times now (in a container) and the shipper has always strapped the vehicle down, 2 straps to the front and 2 at the rear, including chocks to all wheels nailed to the floor. They also take photos of it tied down in the container.

Back