Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stainless exhaust benefits

Newcruiser

Country Flag
uk
Hi guys is it me or does a 100 series 4.2 diesel feel very sluggish when first started/driven and would changing the standard exhaust system to a 3 inch bore stainless system help matters

The 4-speed auto HDJ100, i.e. the years 98-02(03), feels quite sluggish. Because of the fly-by-wire and stricter environmental regulation, the 100 (1HD-FTE) is slower from standstill than the HDJ80 (1HD-FT). This was fixed on the newer models; equipped with a 5-speed box, an improved IP control and a faster Engine/AT ECU. Anyhow, they will both improve with less restiction in the exhaust, picking up revs faster.

More important yet, stainless exhaust will last longer than standard mild steel one ;)

Mine is notably slower when cold too, but I think this is true of many cars.
From a cold start it takes a few miles to get all the oils warmed up including in the drivetrain oils, everything works better at operating temp.
The 3" exshaust would help but it is also worth checking you are on top of your servicing especially air and fuel filters.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
For those with manual transmissions, something I have started doing when the car is cold, and I mean ice outside, is I put the transfer box in neutral and the gear box in third and let the engine drive the gearbox, I find it aids the gear change when you are ready to move off.
I believe the gear oil is somewhat distributed and possibly warmed slightly.

I reckon a 3" exhaust will make matters worse because it will increase the time it takes your engine to reach temperature , but once it gets up to temp you won't regret the money spent :thumbup:

Back