Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

STALLS WHEN ON AN UPHILl INCLINE AND IDLING

Harris Raphael

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi - my first post so hi to all and thanks for any help.
I have a 2005 120 series which in the last two years has developed a fault where when I stop the car on an uphill incline and idle for one to two minutes, the engine cuts out and then won't re-start, even if I get the car onto a flat surface. In trying to start the car, the engine tries to turn over but won't catch.
I have done some major work to try and resolve the issue including replacing all the injectors (at Toyota's advice!), but the problem persists.
Any helpful geniuses know the fix???

I'm sure someone else will pop along shortly but is air getting into your fuel line and the diesel draining back to the tank when on a hill?

Thanks fbnss - it goes up hills absolutely fine. It is only when I stop on a hill and idle for a while that the engine cuts....! why would idling cause the problem? Fees like it should a fuel starvation issue but I am the world's worst mechanic. Also - why would it not then re-start once I have got the car on to flat road (by rolling or towing it)?

Beyond.my knowledge im afraid but I'm sure someone who knows will mention scv or something like that.

Next time it cuts out, Prime it up first with the Plunger on the fuel filter Housing.. Then try it. If it starts pretty easy Then you do have a fuel issue /Air getting in etc etc,... PS keep priming the plunger till it goes Hard...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had the same issue with my 80. It was a small air leak in the injection pump. Follow higgy's advice with the priming to test if this is the problem.

Back