Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stanage/Roych

munster

Have your say on proposed traffic ban for two green lanes

People can give their views from today (Thur Sept 20) on whether trail-bikes, quad bikes and 4x4s should be permanently banned from two green lanes in the Peak District National Park.

A six-week public consultation will run until November 2 on proposed Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs) to exclude motor vehicles from the Long Causeway (a 3.6km route between Sheffield and Hathersage) and the Roych (a 3.5km stretch of the Pennine Bridleway near Chapel-en-le-Frith).

Details may be viewed and comments made at http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/consultations

People may also see the documents at the Peak District National Park Authority HQ, Aldern House, Baslow Road, Bakewell, DE45 1AE, and send comments to the Rights of Way team at that address.

The Authority is making the proposals due to damage to the areas through which the routes run, and the effect on other users such as walkers, cyclists and horse-riders and on people who live nearby.

Cllr Garry Purdy, vice-chair of the Authority’s audit, resources and performance committee, said: “Both routes are very popular and cross some of the most environmentally-sensitive areas of the national park. These proposals follow a lengthy period of monitoring and attempts to manage vehicle use on the routes.

“We have already sought the views of the highways authorities, parish councils, recreational user groups and environmental groups, the majority of whom favoured permanent bans. The committee has also held site inspections.

“We’re proposing these Traffic Regulation Orders to safeguard what people value most about these areas, but we want to hear everyone’s views and will make a final decision in the light of all the evidence and feedback.”

Both are former packhorse routes. The Long Causeway crosses the spectacular Stanage Edge, following a route between Redmires and Hathersage. The Roych track is part of the Pennine Bridleway, a national trail dedicated principally to horse-riders, but is also used by cyclists and walkers.

These proposals are part of the Authority’s overall strategy for managing green lanes. It has 24 priority routes in the Derbyshire part of the national park, 16 of which have action plans for their future management, which can be seen at http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/priorityroutes

The Authority is currently spending an extra £100,000 over two years to carry out the action plans, tackle illegal off-roading and improve communication with all green lane users.

Information on recreational vehicle use in the national park can be found at http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/vehicles

For any queries, call the rights of way team on 01629 816290.

Media inquiries to John Fern, head of communications, on 01629 816356 or [email protected]

ENDS

Collateral

Have your say on proposed traffic ban for two gre http://collateral.vuelio.co.uk/RemoteSt ... elease.doc

I wrote a long email the last time round. didnt even get a reply.

I didnt get a reply either and others i know didnt, but if nobody objects they will do what the ramblers want and Ban all motorised verchular access. Julia Bradbury who is the main
spokes person and backing the ramblers, who lives in the peak district is rallying them to e mail supporting the propossed TRO"S and there are loads of them. Once they get there way it will be the end for us. The National Parks mantra is access for all,
Last time we wrote in was for chaple gate. They dont take previous objection to other closures into account .So you need to do it again, i know its a faff but its the only way.
Martin

I'm prepared to do it and it would be good if ever member on here would. They would be better coming down harder on the ones who miss use the tracks instead of sitting on the main roads with a speed gun!

Ill get a email sent over the weekend

Karl

I agree with you in all respects, just me and you sending a e mail will carry no weight what so ever but from the lack of responce as with Chaple gate
and we know whats happend there , i take it people are not bothered about laning in the Peak District. This is sad as the views and lanes are spectackular
in the Peaks.

I will send another email (sent one for Chapel Gate). :icon-wink:

But im afraid were fighting a loosing battle. :cry:

The ramblers are hell bent on having vehicles banned from the lanes, and theres so many of them, most of who are retired and obviously have loads of time on there hands to go to all the meetings and continue to protest and campaign. :icon-evil:

IMHO only a matter of time until there all closed. :icon-sad: :cry:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
IMHO only a matter of time until there all closed. :icon-sad:

Think you may have hit the nail on the head Ben
Martin

just got an email from
Roych Consultation

Peak District National Park Authority

saying

Dear Sir/Madam

The National Park Authorities’ Traffic Orders (Procedure) (England) Regulations 2007 – Notice of Making a Traffic Regulation Order – The Roych

Following the July meeting of the Audit Resources and Performance Committee, I am writing to give notice that a traffic regulation order (TRO) has been made under section 22BB(2)(a) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act (RTRA) 1984 to prohibit use by mechanically propelled vehicles at any time along the route known as the Roych.

The order will come into force on 19 September 2013. A copy of the notice of making of the order is attached to this letter for information together with the Regulation 14 decision notice giving the reasons for not acceding to objections made.

The notice, order, decision notice and a map showing the extent of the restriction can be found at www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/tros.

Please note that there are no rights of appeal to the making of the TRO, although an application may be made to the High Court within 6 weeks of the date of the order if it is considered that the order has not been validly made.

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Yours faithfully

:(

Last edited:
Well, that's a shame. Regardless of where you stand on the whole debate (remembering that this is an open forum and anyone can look in) it's a shame where anyone gets stopped from doing what they are doing. Unless it's murdering people or whatnot. It's a curious debate. I know that road and it's rough. I recovered someone stranded overnight in the snow from there. Some people like really rough lanes and part of the argument is that they are public roads. Which they are, but if all roads were like that they'd soon be complaining. In fact where lanes have been surfaced people have complained and said that they've been ruined. Problem is, if they continue to deteriorate then there's little that will be able to get up them at all including us. Parts of that road were getting extremely difficult to negotiate and it was very clear that people were not following the route. I don't actually buy that it's all damage caused by vehicles, with much being water erosion etc. But there you go. There are some awesome lanes (as in great views) around that area which for me are preferable as long as they stay open. It's a great way to see the peaks. If they were all closed would I get off my fat ass and walk them? Nope. So it's in my interest to have decent lanes kept in good order so that they don't get closed and I can see the countryside. I'd rather they were surfaced than closed.

I have read the judgement and have to say that the NPA up here are usually pretty fair. They don't always close or restrict. But unless there is some miracle, these old rights of way aren't going to get any better over time.

I am in favour of keeping them open of course and they are roads not footpaths. But if we don't look after them and tread lightly then we are partly to blame. So next time you are winching up an extreme lane, enjoy it whilst you can. It won't be open forever. Here's the proof I'm afraid.

Perhaps one day they will reap what they sow, when one of the ramblers rolls an ankle or pops a knee up there (shouldn't take long if they're all geriatrics).

"I'm sorry, we can't drive up and rescue you, you got us banned from the lane, remember?"

Last edited:
I ride these routes fiarly regularly on a motorcycle and, as a TRF member, am all too familiar with the continuing battle to keep routes open. A TRO on Chapelgate was challenged in the high court last year and overturned but now there's another 'temporary' TRO in place for repairs although the route will be open at times. So it's an uphill struggle but if you don't fight you don't win. As for the Long Causeway there's an even bigger threat in the news this week that the estate in which the route lies could be sold of by the NP and fall in to private hands which could make retaining access even more difficult.

http://www.matlockmercury.co.uk/news/local/peak-park-considering-selling-stanage-edge-1-6020132

Last edited:
Back