Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starter not cutting in.

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
I have been getting the 80 ready for this years Morocco trip which is in April, new radiator fitted, axillary ATF cooler etc etc...

Today after an ATF change I started her once and ran her for a few minutes then turned her off. When starting her for the second time there was diddly squat happening from the starter motor :doh: Turned the ignition on and all lights on the dash came on as normal, but turning the key didn't kick the starter in... just a clicking from what sounded like the foot well, this happened a few times with no success.

I left it a fer minutes and tried again, this time she fired up straight away and has done each time ever since.

This has happened a few times since I have had her (almost 3 years now) but normally turning the key off and then back on cures it straight away.

Anyone have any idea what it is? I really don't want it happening in Morocco and then failing to start all together :think:

Brushes need replacing I think? The clicking is the solenoid kicking in and out ...

Gary Stockton said:
Brushes need replacing I think? The clicking is the solenoid kicking in and out ...
Bugger :doh:

I had the starter off when I rebuilt the motor..... I replaced the plunger bit and the big brass bits then, don't think I did the brushes though :(

But if it's the brushes how come it started in the end earlier today, and has done many times since :think:

Never heard of brushes to be worn out on an 80 starter motor. What you are describing could be a dodgy 12v/24v changeover relay or weak batteries.

Wouldn't suspect the brushes IMO. More likely to be a bad connection to/from one of the relays or one of the relays themselves. You need to get your multimeter out but intermittent faults like this can be a bitch to find.

Both batteries are fairly new, less than 12 months old.

Where about are the relays located?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Its that large thing with lots of thick cables connected to it behind the passenger battery, near the under bonnet fuse box.

Thanks Rob, if the problem appears again I will investigate that area with various size 'tapping sticks' :D

Here it is:
29022008118.jpg

A similar sort of thing happens to my old Celica.
Every few weeks, "click" nothing
On that it's dirty contacts on the starter relay that energises the starter circuit, so same sort of idea.
I don't know for certain, but i'd hazard a guess the 80 also has a starter circuit relay supplying that changeover relay.
Has to be worth a look, though on the Celica its done that for about 5 years........ :whistle:

If the clicking is coming from the starter area, it is most likely the starter solenoid on the side of the starter motor.

Best to get the starter off and check it - also check the brushes whilst you are at it.

Re-reading, if you have replaced the solenoid and contacts the solenoid may be sticking (did you lubricate it?).

Next time it happens check to see if there is power to the solenoid with the ignition on - if there is the chances are the solenoid is sticking or there is a brush issue (unlikely) - either way the starter will need t come out to be stripped and checked.

If there isn't power going to the solenoid then I would start by looking at the switch over solenoid.

Julian Voelcker said:
If the clicking is coming from the starter area.....
The 'clicking' sounds more like a relay than a solenoid, I imagine the solenoid would have a louder sound.

Nick Shepherd said:
That sounds a lot like starter contacts but it sounds like you replaced them (big brass bits?). along with the plunger.

Is this the work you did?

http://george4wd.taskled.com/starter.html
Yes Nick, that is what I replaced. I gave a rest of the starter a quick visual too before putting it all back together.

Julian Voelcker said:
Re-reading, if you have replaced the solenoid and contacts the solenoid may be sticking (did you lubricate it?).

Next time it happens check to see if there is power to the solenoid with the ignition on - if there is the chances are the solenoid is sticking or there is a brush issue (unlikely) - either way the starter will need t come out to be stripped and checked.

If there isn't power going to the solenoid then I would start by looking at the switch over solenoid.
Thanks Julian, if it does it again I will get Lu to do the key twisting while I get me head under the bonnet..... hopefully it won't be while in the desert :doh:

Bat21 said:
Thanks Julian, if it does it again I will get Lu to do the key twisting while I get me head under the bonnet..... hopefully it won't be while in the desert :doh:

If it happens again, just leave the ignition on and then test - if I remember rightly main power is switched to the solenoid when you turn the ignition on - turning one step further to start just fires the solenoid.

Back