Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starting and Running

ChiefBigB

I have a 92 Land Cruiser that is not currently running. The PO stated that they were driving it down the road when it suddenly died. I sprayed it with some starter fluid and it acted like it wanted to start. It seems like it is fuel related. Has anyone had similar problems or have suggestions? Thank you.

Check engine camshaft turns when crankingh, if ok,
check the fuel cut off solenoid on the pump.
If ok, check the pump supplies the injectors.....crack off the injector pipes and crank, does diesel spray out of the pipes?
80 series?. remove back seat, take off inspection hatch on top of tank and check, filter on pickup pipe, is it there? is it blocked?

that should give you a few things to be getting on with.

Just remember, that provided you haven't got an electronic control on the pump, all the items on the fuel side are basic.

Last edited:
I changed out the sensor on top of the air cleaner, it was bad. Now there is gas and fire as evidenced by backfire but it still will not start. There are 4 wires hanging by where the catalytic converter once was. I'm thinking there was possibly an O2 sensor there, the PO removed the exhaust from the headers back. Also, what is the firing order for the cylinders, I want to make sure they are on right. The Distributor Cap was off when I initially opened the hood and the wire and plugs have been replaced. I appreciate the input.

It turns out the PO put the distributor in backwards. The problem is now that it idles extremely high, it will start but then takes off...Insight?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Eh !!!!!!!!

The PO stated that they were driving it down the road when it suddenly died.

Yeh right so it was going down the road fine with the distributor in backwards , something doesn't ring true.

Last edited:
I dont know if the PO took the distributor out to problem shoot or what, but there are a lot of things that have been replaced. i know what you are saying. Its getting there, at least it will run. Would a missing O2 sensor cause the high idle?

Getting a new exhaust, and O2 sensors. This should get the idle down more. I turned it down, it was wide open. I figure just tightening up the system will make it run smoother.

Back