Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starting issue

RobfromYork

Country Flag
uk
looking for some ideas. I've got a Diesel 80 series that normally starts on first turn of the key. I've just had a new fuel tank installed and since then if it's left for a few days it doesn't want to start. I've just been away for the last 10 days and I had to prime the fuel filter with the pump on top manually to get it to start today.

I'm assuming this means I have a leak somewhere but I can't see any sign of it. Any ideas?

Rob

Have you got your original fuel cap on or a new one rob?

Usually with that issue its the fuel filter housing letting air in. You could fit a non return valve just after the filter on the way back to the tank.

Had the same issue.
Replaced top of the fuel filter with priming pump : still won't start after a few days.
checked pickup filter in fuel tank : filter ok
checked valve in fuel cap : valve ok
changed acsd for a blanking plate : issue solved and starts like new!!:icon-biggrin:
other possible cause : small leak in fuel line from tank to filter.
good luck!

Is the engine turning over real quick as normal if so that's how my issues started a few weeks and all I had to do was check 3rd fuse down inside drivers side then all was ok however I know have a dead short on that fuse, I was doing the same trying to pump fuel manually

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Normally after work on the fuel system the plunger on the diaphragm in 'X ' years and cracks. The filter head being higher than the tank and now air entering the cracks the fuel runs back to the tank. You pump the diaphragm which is enough to over come the small leak and pull the fuel up. Leave it for a few days and again the same problem. Often air can get in but fuel not out.

If not the diaphragm then another leak elsewhere, if the problem is new i.e. since the tank was fitted return to the fitter and ask him to look at it.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
try disconnecting the fuel inlet hose and feed a hose onto it from a container positioned about 1m above the filter head. the head of pressure should weep the fuel out where the leak is.

Thanks everyone. I will have a fiddle about. The Fuel cap is original and this has only started since I had the brand new tank fitted. The engine turns over at the normal speed on the key just doesn't fire. I'll see if I can find a leak at the filter housing end and then if I can't find anything I'll fit a non return valve and see if that cures it.

The non return valves I have seen have a spring governing the pressure they open at. Best to have as weak a spring as possible I would have thought ?

The non return valves I have seen have a spring governing the pressure they open at. Best to have as weak a spring as possible I would have thought ?

I'd second that. The lift pump isn't that strong. Just facing uphill or down can make difference.

Back