Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Starting problems...

Gav have you checked all the fuses? There is a fuse located near the steering wheel on the 24 valve which if blown will not allow it to turn over. I do remember hearing a relay clicking when it happened to me.

Couldn't start mine the other day. All dash lights fine. Turned the key and nothing whatsoever happened. As it was new, I had separated all the keys and crap on the keyring and added a main key to my daily bunch. Good job I didn't throw out the little black bead with Auto Watch embossed on it. It's an immobiliser. That was close. Any chance it's an immobiliser issue?

Chris

Gav obviously hasn't had chance to get on here, but we can all rest easy as he got it going this evening ;)

Batteries...

I have presumed that the chugga, chugga, chugga was the gears for the starter motor failing tomesh with the flywheel due to lack of juice from dem dere battreries... Swapped Tonkas over into MUX & off he went, happy as a sandman :) Much to my releif!!!

Got everything swapped back over & put MUX's 'pacemakers' on charge - woke up around 5.45 this morning, couldn't sleep so had them back in by 6.30am. Had to wait til after 7am to check though as he's a bit throaty at the moment... All good though :)

Will be getting a set of spares for the starter though as a bit of PM & maybe its time for a new set of duracells for the big boy. New thread for discussion coming right up ;-)

Ade, thanks for the offer of the tirfor dude - I suspect we would have moved the house nearer the road though ;-)

Jim, nice to see you & REX. Thank Rob & family for the parking spot outside their house again if you speak to them ;-)

Adios

Hang on, almost forgot the sting in the tail...

Tonka (our T reg Colorado) is the wife's DD & I don't get to drive him too often. Driving to work yesterday, I thought he was a bit clonkier than usual so when I got home before stripping out the batteries, I had a rev about & gander under the bonnet - now't really to see. Afterwards, when the batteries went back in, I had a proper look as hes was right rattly. Grabbed the end of the zorts pipe, rattling stopped - cool... And then it fell off in my hand!!! Rear section out of the big centre box!!!

So thats both of the bad boys in need of exhausts... Another thread coming up for that ;-)

keep an eye on it, I still think you have solenoid contact problems but the higher voltage of the better charged batteries has put a sticking plaster on them ;)

One of your infamous 'how to' guides wouldn't go amiss here Jon :cool:

I was stumped just looking at the starter from top & bottom...

As mentioned above, parts will be on order today. How long should these last?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Getting the starter out is simple, 2 or 3 bolts and its out. It helps of you have a knuckle and extension. I didnt even jack it up or remove the wheel. Have a look http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=118 on how to replace the contacts.

mine lasted about 130k miles before mine started to stick, and they deteriorated very quickly after that. At one point the starter was stuck on for 2 or 3 minutes :shock:

The top bolt is quite well hidden on an auto, underneath the wiring loom and connectors that go to the auto box and transfer box. With the right combination of extensions and UJ it's easy, with the wrong combination it can seem impossible ;) IIRC I used a normal depth 17mm(?) socket, 100mm extension, UJ, 200mm extension. Disconnect the batteries first, then the wiring connections to the starter/solenoid, then the bottom bolt which I remember as being easy to get at, then the top bolt. You might need a milk crate to stand on as well :mrgreen: The solenoid / contacts will look the same as in my 100 series thread. If I'm wrong you can keep the old ones as spares :lol:

Splendid!!! I'll have to have a better look at getting it off when I can. EDIT: And check I have the correct combination of extensions, sockets, U/J's & milk crates!!!

Nice little writeup on the surf BTW - might try & do something similar when I get to mine :)

Cheers chaps

Back