Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steel Stockist - Scotland Central Belt (or online)

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Hi all,

I'm trying to find some 75x75x10mm angle iron, either online or from a steel stockist in the Scottish Central Belt (Edinburgh -> Glasgow) region. I've tried some of the regular online suspects but they don't carry what I want, or want to sell me 3m at some stupid price - I only need 1 metre of the stuff. Don't mind driving to go get it if necessary.

Any recommendations, anyone?

Thanks

Gary Stockton said:
I'm trying to find some 75x75x10mm angle iron, either online or from a steel stockist in the Scottish Central Belt (Edinburgh -> Glasgow) region.

Gary,

Have you tried:

Brown & Glegg
Bankhead Crossway South
Sighthill Industrial Estate
Edinburgh
Midlothian
EH11 4EZ
0131 453 6611

I usually buy my steel stock from them (they can deliver as well).

I'm usually getting 7 metre lengths though :doh: .

There was a small steel fabricators next to the HSS Hire Shop in Gorgie Road. I've had various off-cuts from them over the years.

I haven't been that way for ages so can't confirm they're still there.

All our steel scrap goes to Dalton's for re-cycling. It may be worth paying them a visit if you don't mind hunting through all the waste.

http://www.daltonsforscrap.co.uk/contact.htm

I'll see what my "Scottish Off Road Club" neighbour - Bob (who you met) has in his shed.

It sounds as though a new towbar is in the offing :whistle: .

Bob.

Gary, checked my list and that is a standard size so I can get it locally. I may have some - I'll have a look. One way or another I could probably get just one meter at sensible price. But two things, how urgently would you want it and how would we get it to you?

Always good to have solutions even if you can't use them. It's serious stuff is that. Whatcha building?

Chris

Thanks Bob - I tried them yesterday and spoke to Metal Centre in Leith - might take a wander to Daltons today - it's not too far from work, and I had a look at their website yesterday too.

Cheers Chris - according to the spec sheet, 1metre should weigh about 11kg, so courier, which I'll cover off as well if necessary? I'll see what I can find locally first though - kind of wanted to play this weekend a bit, as well as next long weekend :D

And not really building anything too exciting - rear recovery points for the 120 because atm I have none :thumbdown: :( I'm waiting for Gavs Custom Fabs shop to [strike:g72wp0ay]re-open[/strike:g72wp0ay] heal sufficiently to finish the bit of gear we designed and had built :shhh:

I know of one or two folk wanting some for their 120s so was going to produce a couple of sets, and that size seems to be the recommended one for a heavy-duty, bolt-on recovery point (to be bolted to rear chassis rails, using the two captive nuts already there).

Durr.. could you not just bolt on a shop bought recovery point? OK Ok says he, the king of making stuff at home, but I must have a bucket full of recovery points in my workshop. There does seem to be two different spacings that I have come across. I do have some black ARB ones that won't fit an 80.

Only musing out loud mate. Crack on. Don't forget the pics.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yup, I could have just bought some, but they work out more expensive than the bit of steel and the fun factor and learning experience of doing my own makes that almost free :thumbup:

Plus it keeps me in the man-cave and out the shops :lol: :twisted:

Park head welding are usually reasonable and will cut it for you. I could get it for you if your stuck. :thumbup:

Gary,

I spoke to "LandRover Bob" yesterday. He doesn't have anything suitable but he did phone a couple of his contacts.

The concensus is that the best option is to 'drop in' on one of the large steel fabricators in the Livingston / Barthgate / Broxburn area. If you phone they'll tell you they don't sell steel :whistle: .

He quoted a couple of names but at my age I have to write things down (and I didn't have a notepad with me) :doh: .

He did question why a Class III Collector has to have 10mm walls though :lol: .

If you want Company Names I'll go back prepared :thumbup: .

Bob.

Thanks Bob - if I ever get out the office I'll go out that way and have a look. Ive found some online so have a last-resort option if needed!

And the kind offer from Zeus, so I'm dpolied for choice a little bit now :lol:

Cheers

I'm surprised blakes (the metal centre) don't have any. Usually if they've got stuff close to size, they will adjust it to your dimensions for you. For example the angle brackets for my tow bar required one bit of the angle shorter than the other, so they cut down one bit of it for me so it matched the steel i was replicating.

Back