Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering issue

Just about there, just finishing up the steering link and will measure everything up.

The new track rod end joint boots normally come with grease inside the rubber boot. Just check. I've today put 1/2 egg cup full of grease in each end of the hollow track rod so it keeps the threads moist as much as possible but that long slot is bound to let water in in the end.

Well I'm glad to report it's much better having replaced tie rod ends and steering rod ends. The steering damper felt good but will get changed when I do the suspension. The alignment was out and she had a positive toe out which could not have helped. I have adjusted it back to a slight toe in and will see how I get on but she is feeling much better.

Just make sure you have equal number of turns lock to lock and that the indicators cancel at the same angles off centre left and right. Sometimes people take the steering wheel off and centre it on the splines rather than do the job properly. Then if that is ok you can adjust your steering wheel attitude with the steering arm at the front. It should be slightly clockwise by an inch on the rim on UK roads as it fights the camber. There is an empty straight road near me so I drive down one side on the left and note the attitude of the steering wheel then back down on the same side of the road on the right to make sure the attitude is a mirror image. You can also drive down the crown of an empty straight road to see if the wheel is dead centre.

Well here's the thing. The correct measurement is 0 degrees 12 minutes toe IN. +- 12 minutes. In other words parallel or 24 minutes toe in = 24/60 th of 1 degree. That's not far off 1/2 degree toe in max.

Frank

Interesting info Frank, thanks for that. Might go for resetting mine again!
My source was the tyre fitting shop, I wonder where they got toe-out from?
Cheers:thumbup:

They had the book upside down Clive :icon-biggrin:.

I rang a local tyre fitters and they confirmed the figures for a 1995 80 were the same as the 1992 WSM.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Maybe they did Frank :lol:

Anyway, at the time the toe-out setting was such an improvement on the previously "too much toe-in" set up, that I assumed them to have set it correctly. Maybe it will be better still, set as recommended. :think:

If it handles OK perhaps leave well alone unless you have scrubbing on the inside of the tyres............ Or outside.

No Frank, no visible sign of scrubbing, and no "tooth effect" on the tread which you can normally feel when you slide your bare hand from side to side across the tread. IMO that's a better test than a visual.

I did not have my tracking 1/2 degree out as I previously said but parallel. This was on the outer limit of "out". I did this to eliminate scrubbing of the left hand side wheel which often occurs. Now after 10,000 miles the tyre insides are scrubbed very slightly. Yes Clive you can feel smaller imperfections by feel. Now I've set it to 24 minutes toe in it has been transformed. All tramlining gone. In fact I was able to watch a whole edition of the antiques roadshow without taking my eyes off the screen.

I did not have my tracking 1/2 degree out as I previously said but parallel. This was on the outer limit of "out". I did this to eliminate scrubbing of the left hand side wheel which often occurs. Now after 10,000 miles the tyre insides are scrubbed very slightly. Yes Clive you can feel smaller imperfections by feel. Now I've set it to 24 minutes toe in it has been transformed. All tramlining gone. In fact I was able to watch a whole edition of the antiques roadshow without taking my eyes off the screen.

:laughing-rolling:

Glad to hear you've got it right Frank, :thumbup: 24 minutes toe in is now burned in my brain for the next visit to the tyre workshop.

Goodness knows when though, I'm back in the Middle East again :icon-rolleyes:

This might sound messed up but I think I might have found the problem yet again.

I was browsing mud and came across a picture that made me wonder.

Your damper is attached to the steering on one end and the frame the other end via a triangular piece of metal called a damper hinge.

epu2uzag.jpg

I may be very wrong but I think mine is the wrong way around. The "point" of the hinge or top of the triangle is pointing forward ie facing the front of the car and I think it might have to go the other way around.

ymy7urat.jpg

Just a thought and maybe it makes no difference but I can say the shock has a grove in it where it has been catching one of the bolts that hold the front oem guard on where it bolts to the front frame cross member.

Thought please

That doesn't look right to me Warren.

I can't be certain because I'm a few thousand km away from my truck at the moment but I'll check at the weekend. I'm sure the damper on mine is parallel to the arm.

Not the best pic but I found this photo on the inter web, clearly the bracket is facing backwards as I would have imagined

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Yes Warren it's on the wrong way round, that said, I doubt it would have much effect on the feel of the steering. I may be corrected on this if anyone can explain why.

Andy

Yes Warren it's on the wrong way round, that said, I doubt it would have much effect on the feel of the steering. I may be corrected on this if anyone can explain why.

Andy

Me neither Andy, but every little helps! Sometimes all these small faults can add up to quite an effect. Well see after Warren's repositioned it.

Defo the wrong way round Warren. The triangle cut out in the splash guard is where it should be. Just rotate it by 180 degree. I agree with Andy but it might restrict your lock on one of the turns and possibly pull the end off the damper or overcompress it.

if its catches as said with the damage to it i think it would make a difference to be fair as the part of lock when it rubs would have resistance then.
stu

Thanks to Stu for the pics I now have it on correctly but still not right. It's ever so slightly better but still more investigation to do.

Hi Frank

I would be very interested to see a pic of how you measure wheel alignment with string. So please post up your pic if you have the time. Thanks.

Byron

Back