Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

steering rack bushes - again..

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
How much movement is there in the steering rack with brand new correctly fitted bushes - when steering turned side-side?

On my 80k mile vehicle, there is a couple mm movement of the rack - is this acceptable movement? or need replacement?

Hardly any Andy on a full new set. But a couple of mm sounds like it's in tolerance. Is it a Milner set? Usually they are pretty firm. From experience I would say much more than 3 mm per side would raise interest from mot man.

Chris

"Is it a Milner set? "

only had the vehcile a year, so don't know. I can only assume at 74k miles when i got it, they are the factory originals.
the are black! thats all i know.

Not Milner then Andy. Black oem stuff is softer so sounds about right

Chris

ta Chris

so when they need replacing what kind of movement is seen?

You'll know when you see it Andy. When the rack moves and the wheels don't basically.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have you guys liked your polyurethane bushes (Milner´s)? What´s the feeling, is it harsher ride on rough road?

I should change mine too and wonder should I change rubber or polyurethane bushes...

No difference in vibration or anything like that - no not harsher. Just much more accurate and positive when you turn the steering wheel. Very noticeable

Chris

Well worth doing, I did mine a few months back just before my DOE(commercial WOF) and it definately made the whole steering more precise, not harsh just more accurate.
I still feel that the steering is a little more vague than it used to be but with 253k miles it probably could do with new ball joints and track rod ends again.

Back