Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering Rack Bushings

Great Outdoors

Country Flag
ireland
Hi'
Just looking for some advice again !
Had CVRT test today (it's similar to UK's MOT) My Cruiser failed on two steering rack bushings which are worn, thought they'd be available off the shelf in Toyota main dealers, but was in for a shock. The main dealers says that only the 'D' shaped bush for the left side is available, that all other bushings on the steering rack come as part of the rack and that I'd have to get a new steering rack which comes complete with the bushings at a cost of €1,200 (Euro) !!
I checked on E Bay and various dealers are selling '' Power Steering Rack Bush Kits'' which are applicable to my model @ £45.00 approx. postage included.
The photo shows one bush 'D' shaped + two bushings round with flanges at one end and one with a flange on both ends - a total of 4 , another dealer shows the same bushings with 2 steel pipe inserts + wide steel washer
Just wondering should I order a set or are the failed ones totally different - just how many bushings does the steering rack have ? Apologies for my
''non mechanical'' descriptions and questions !

Thanks.

This is a quite common MOT failure on the 90. Have a search and you'll probably find a guide that I think Black Widow might have put up or possibly SAE. Toyota do not supply the bush, no. I had Milners press me a new one in many years ago for £50. It's a bit of an arse of a job to be honest and some of the bushes don't fit very well. There's a bit of a knack to it so I'd read up first if going to tackle it yourself. However, you will be very very surprised at the result when it's done.

I bought a set of steering rack bushes from roughtrax I think, last year. Not expensive, about €60. Fitting them can be done without removing the rack from the truck, but you'd want a ramp, or some way of getting the front off the ground a bit.

Three bushes altogether, the D shaped bush, and two sleeve type with bolts through them. The D bush is a handy job.
I used a rawlbolt to remove the other two. Beware that the vertical bush has a captive nut, and must be loosened from above. Took a little while, but a lot better than 1200 beans!

Last edited:
I fitted roughtrax ones in past, supposed to be easier to fit than the milners ones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,
Thanks guys for replies - It's great to know that it's possible to fit new bushes without having to replace the whole rack, I'll order a kit from Roughtrax as suggested.
My local indy mechanic will be doing the work but I'll have to get parts etc. I'm not brave enough to tackle a job like that yet !

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good thread resurrection there Bob.

I replaced mine on a 90 following Bobs instructions, it was a few years ago now, and my 90 has been sold since but I got them from either Milners or Roughtrax, good kit and made the steering a lot better afterwards.

I replaced mine on a 90 following Bobs instructions, it was a few years ago now, and my 90 has been sold since but I got them from either Milners or Roughtrax, good kit and made the steering a lot better afterwards.

Better in what way ?

i think with the play taken out of the original soft bushes, it feels more precise.
i have the bush kit sitting in the garage, not that it needs doing its just something i ordered when buying service parts.

It needs to be sunny and warm before i lay on my back on the drive:happy-sunny:

Definitely felt tighter after doing the bushes. More responsive steering control, slight play from the old ones. Although I noticed a bigger difference after doing the rear trailing arm bushes. Tightened up the back end a lot.

Thanks Joe and Bob i guess i can forget about that then if there's any play in mine its of the forgiving kind which i would prefer not to remedy .

Back