Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering Rack

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
Dirty Gal went in for MOT today and unfortunately she failed. Excessive play in the steering rack and CV boot Split. I had a set of steering rack bushes in the garage so thought I would crack on with it today. All went well but because towards the end I was getting tired and hungry I didn't connect the steering shaft back up before re-installing the rack. So here is the question.

I really don't want to have to drop the rack again and there isn't enough wiggle room to get them back together with it on so can it be pulld up from the top and re fitted that way???

I loosened the slide joint above the rag joint and that shaft is what I need to slide back in.

Thanks to Spindrift for the Max Ellery manual it really helped me out today but need a little advise on this.

Thanks all

Chris

if I remember right it does but its a struggle, bite the bullet and drop the rack if I remember it will be the easiest option

will tilting the steering wheel help?using the lever under steering wheel to unlock it to move, not sure if all movement is just under the dash though

Thanks for the advice guys. Got it sorted today. Pulled the steering colum out as I couldn't face another day of crawling underneath. Got the job done in about and hour but then took me 4 hours to figure out why she wouldn't start. After checking everything I could think of and changing the fuel filter (as I have been running on veg) It turned out to be a single connection around the ignition that I had missed. Bit of a bugger but hey. Its done now

Chris

Back