Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering wobble and milners

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
When i bought the truck i always knew there was a little vibration in the steering that didnt really bother me as i would get to it when i could.
Now i've put the bigger tyres on it is worse so decided to check.
I have the receipts from a recent lower wishbone ball joint replace by the previous owner that had parts sourced from Milners but it seems that they are worn out already after a couple of thousand miles, as you can see they are still shiny. All the others seem ok.
The anti roll bar bushes are also very perished so will need doing, i think a complete rebush when the suspension is replaced.

IMG00226-20110710-0950.jpg

Another quality part from Milners then. :whistle:

Same as my Milners UJ that I fitted to Fiery within a few hundred miles it already had more play than the OME ones with 160000 mile under their belts :roll: :)

That's why I've gone OEM for most of the parts I use. Upgrades excluded of course.

If you buy cheap aftermarket you're always working on it.

It seems the previous owner did use Toyota for all servicing, but on the last one went with cheaper parts, i suppose when bills for this kind of stuff comes in from a Toyota dealer then that is the time to sell it.
I have the Toyota dealer quote after the last MOT (by them) and it lists lower ball joints, wheel bearings replace (just needed tightening) and the two steering wheel adjustment motors, lets just say they were talking thousands to fix so i guess the MOT stuff was done and then put up for sale.

Being a vehicle "ATVs" dealer myself I can look at things from a different perspective.

Customers don't like dealerships, they often regard them as stealerships. So when someone decides to make it your problem and they want to pay for it. Well you need to go the whole nine yards. When the work is done, problem should be fixed and stay fixed for a decent amount of miles.

When working on my own cars and ATVs often you can get away with a more minimal approach. But then I know the driver, the mechanic doesn't charge and the customer won't go and throw a fitt when something half fixed decides to get broken again.

As for fitting cheap parts to just get it past MOT and sold?
I really don't get that attitude at all, I rather give my customers a discount and fit decent stuff.
The next owner could be a seasoned driver noticing a problem before it goes apeshit, or it could be someones kid and their first vehicle.
And their first crash because of crap parts! :evil:

For the ATVs I always say:" You play, You pay!"
For the repairs on our vehicles I always say to the kids: "Parts cost, Safety is priceless!"

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Paul, how are your spindle bearings?
I'm asking because they are often overlooked, and not on the dealers' schedule.
AND they give vibration if they fail.

At least check them if/when doing other front end work.

There's a good view of the bearing in post 22 in this thread.

Toyota don't sell just the ball joint but they'll sell you the whole arm. Is it the ball joint itself, the fit in the arm, or maybe even just the nut not tightened up properly?

I will have a go a the spindles, with what i am going to use the truck for i may just strip down the hubs and do all the bearings including spindles for peace of mind.
The lower joint definatly has wear. It is quite easy to feel with a pry bar and is actually visible. I tried to tighten but it was ok.

Just went out and popped the hub caps off, removed the circlip and pushed the shaft back. It is covered in grease but there is evidence of recent CV boots so maybe someone saw the bearing or knew what they were doing.
I know this does not actually check the spindle bearings but at least they are lubed.
Still plan to rebuild the hubs though.
When grabbing the drive shafts in place there is some detectable play.

Back