Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stove options

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
As I had to remove all my drawers and boot build for some work to be done and to allow reconfiguration because of the gullwings which are on their way, I am looking at buying a new stove to build into the new layout. Don't have enough battery space or money to go induction so will stay with gas (not sure I'd like the hassle carrying petrol or meths for a fuel stove, though perhaps easier to get rather than gas, but can be temperamental??)

I do like to cook, and cook proper meals, so want a twin burner, easy to clean and good adjustment on heat. Built in windshield would be good too, though could knock one up. A grill isn't needed and I'd like to keep it low profile if I can.

My last stove was a twin burner (see image)with a self made frame and legs, wasn't very adjustable.

As much as I'd like a Partner Stove just can't justify the expense and the timescale to deliver. The camp chef mountaineer looks good but again trying to find a UK item isn't easy.

Others to add into the mix, Primus kinija, Primus Atle2 and midland 3 burner.

Also thinking of moving from large 907 bottle to smaller disposables cylinders, assume just a regulator change.

Advice from the hive mind welcome.

Attachments

• CollageMaker_20210718_110701474.jpg
    CollageMaker_20210718_110701474.jpg
    656.2 KB · Views: 64
I need to sort something out for next year and have been looking at that jetboil genesis 2burner round ones, and the cadac 2cook. Both are low pressure so the 0.5L Coleman gas works fine. Since we use the same kit at home for bbq's etc I want it to be easily removable and compact enough.

Probably not going to suite you but I have 3 of the Coleman dual burners. Why 3? I don't really have room for 4. Are they the best stove out there? Nah, course not but they are good. Fuel available anywhere in the world, damn hot, tough, compact easy to service. Reliable? Yes completely. it's the owners that are the problem. People just don'tknow how to look after them, or more correctly use them properly. I also have other petrol stoves and lamps many of which I have bought for peanuts. Sold for spares, doesn't work. And within minutes, there they are working perfectly. I saw a brand new, boxed never used Coleman on FB this week. £30 WHAT? I nearly had it. So, no. Probably not what you're after but a fantastic bit of kit as long as you look after it - or carry a couple of minor spare parts.

+1 on the Coleman. Picked one up on Ebay, haven't used it much so far but running it on Aspen 4 (a bit pricey, but you don't use much) it stays nice and clean.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have to agree with the coleman, it just works.

Been winter camping plenty and I'm the one with the kettle boiling first thing on a morning, often others are trying to get the gas ones upto a decent temp!
Works OK in wind and as said it stores away well etc

Of course, there is a Coleman, just like the petrol one that works off gas. But unless you carry a little box of converters, you're always stuck with the branded Coleman gas bottles. I run several stoves and lanterns most of which run on petrol, so I always have fuel in the vehicle. But if you run a diesel and only have the stove on petrol I can understand why that might seem a faff. But, one small bottle (motorbike 3L) and a full tank to begin with, you'd be able to cook for 2 weeks.

I use this with my gas stove so I can use the small canisters

Most appliances will run from one canister, but only for so long. As the contents drops, there's not enough chuff left in them. That twin manifold thing of David's is a great way to over come that. I'd be curious to know if it will empty both cans fully. I tend to use up the part emptied ones on things like the Jetboil which isn't so fussy

@Chris It is like all the small cans it will empty them if it is warm and not so much when it is cold

Cheers all. The coleman dual was my initial thought but, seems to take a while to set up. Yes I run a diesel so would mean carrying alternative fuel, but also read a lot about petrol clogging up the coleman and its best to run on "white gas" only, will e10 fuel causes issues? How much maintenance is really needed?

I've found a camp chef everest and understand you can get a aftermarket kit to replace the rigid regulated arm to swap to a flexible with a more normal bottle regulator.

Always a compromise.

My Coleman ran fine on e10 for my week in Scotland, finally had to refill the Jerry can after 7 years :(

@fbnss apparently it can knacker some seals and produces more water so you need to drain the system, we'll that's what my mower guru is telling me.

Mines not in perfect condition anyway,think bacon fat is rather toxic too :)

Produces more water? Would that not be out in the air?

Lighting the Coleman properly and doing a little maintenance occiasionally will keep it running perfectly for years.

And mines still going with out any of that, this is a no brainer.

Just the same! None of the modern crap, stick with old reliable

Back