Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Strange OEM front bumper setup

Derek

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
This setup came on my 1994 4.5 jdm breaker. It consists of front bumper raiser brackets which push the bumper forwards about 2”, and also a plastic filler piece that is bolted to the front valance.

It’s not after market as the plastic bits have Toyota part numbers and the valance has factory square holes for the plastic screw inserts.

Could it be for a factory winch setup? There’s no evidence of one ever being fitted.

Attachments

• 2C19E117-E0C4-43DA-A4B1-1035BFF0D40A.jpeg
    2C19E117-E0C4-43DA-A4B1-1035BFF0D40A.jpeg
    775 KB · Views: 43
  • 23B0AE3B-F7E0-45A9-B244-9FE53C9F87F8.jpeg
    23B0AE3B-F7E0-45A9-B244-9FE53C9F87F8.jpeg
    552.7 KB · Views: 43
That's what it sounds like. We weren't privy to the really cool options like a factory winch or the rear tire carrier. :frowning:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's the bumper setup for the factory winch... it's a shame the factory electric winch isn't included.

An optional extra few wanted maybe . Wonder if the loom is there ?

We all have factory wiring for stuff that was never fitted

Winch option, as you say, or maybe the US version? I know the US has all sorts of weird bumper height and clearance rules (hence some of the abortion rubber bumpers fitted to classic sports cars in the 70s and 80s).

An optional extra few wanted maybe . Wonder if the loom is there ?

We all have factory wiring for stuff that was never fitted
The main power wiring is there but the relay isn't it runs along the passengerside inner wing and down under the headlight..

That was my thinking Dave_S. To protect pedestrians and limit expensive repairs in low mph impacts.

The main power wiring is there but the relay isn't it runs along the passengerside inner wing and down under the headlight..

I’ll have a look for that. Haven’t seen anything obvious yet. It was maybe all removed very well at some point and the bumper left as it is.

Do you have those plastic filler inserts? And the one on the front bumper acting as a spacer for the winch cover. THese are NLA available from toyota, but I still want them. Too much of a perfectionist I am... :D

Back