Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stuck sunroof on 80 series Sahara

Michael Szabath

Hi Everyone I am new on this site. Need some advise please the sunroof has jammed open on my 80 series Sahara, does anyone know if there is a manual override to close it. We opened it too far, heard a loud crack then nothing on the switch. The interior sun shade is open all the way as well & that wont budge either. I have read in the workshop manual that an manual override can be found under the rear view mirror. It says that there is a large screw that can be removed then a hex key inserted into the hole & wound closed. I have found a large brass screw head with a slot in it but won't budge even with a large screw driver. Can anyone shed some light please as we do not have a garage so the truck is out in the open and need to close the roof ASAP.

Last edited:
bummer
I've not used the manual override myself. Suppose I should check that it works in mine as well

Taking down the headline and dropping down the sunroof isn't that difficult just tedious. May be your only option if the manual override is not working.
Not sure what the 'crack' noise would be

Good luck

From memory, the manual operation uses a tool from the tool kit. Like a sort of large allen key which you put into the mechanism one the trim is removed. I don't have a sunroof on this one so I can't go and look for you. But this only works if the motor fails I think. If the actual sliding mech has broken, you might not be able to operate it manually.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated. Some Toyota mechanics say that there is no over ride facility others say there is. One would think that a company that takes such effort in detail would make provision for something like this. I am hoping that the noise was only the inner shade dropping out of the runner. Oh well will have to see what it is. Ah the joys of old cars.

Back