Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stupid newbie

Fett

Thats me , I just have a few questions as I am soon to be getting an 80 series.

1. where the best workshops manual avaialble and whats it called? is it differnt for petrol or diesel or does it cover both?

2.is it best to change to OAT coolant and do people have problems mixing the old and new when doing this causing blockages?

3.what spanner/socket does the diff oil level plug on a 97 take, odd question I know but I may look at one this week/weekend and I want to check the "wet" seal hasnt got too bad.

4. what oil is best for the engine, both petrol and diesel? and how often do you change it?

5.for those in or near fareham hampshire where the best gearge to work on these if you dont want to yourself?

6. where the best place to get parts and are there particular good or bad brands to watch for?

sorry for the silly questions, I am learning :D

Thanks

1. not sure, looking myself at the mo
2. Cooling system fill is one of the hottest topics on here (excuse the pun) personally i use Toyota Red with a full flush then i can leave well alone.
3. Standard spanner size, what do you mean by wet seal?
4. Mine is diesel so just use good make semi synthetic and i do a yearly change as imited miles unless doing a trip then change before i go. Always a genuine filter.
5. Greg at landcruisers overland in West Sussex, top place. Memeber on here as greg.
6. I tend to go genuine on everything, especially when Ian was supplying parts, so will have to rethink that one. Milners may look tempting, their accessories (lights etc) can be very good, but had bad experiences with their engine parts/bearing/ball joints being extremly poor quality and they have a tricky customer service to deal with (in my experience anyway.)

HTH

thanks for those , is the toyota red a 5 year job from the dealer? I dont even know where my toyota dealer is lol? do they keep all the parts for these older trucks in production?

the wet seal is a hub seal the dealer says is wet, but its an 8 hour round trip away from me so I want to make sure that its not so bad there is no oil in the diff for the run back and that the leak isnt so bad I have to fix it right away. super hero paul humphreys is going to have a look at the truck for me in the morning so I expect he will be able to judge btter then me anyway.

I asked about the size cos I am not taking my whole tool box :p

anyone used west 4x4 for there toyotas? I have heard good things for landrovers but never been there my self as I did all the work myself, But I am getting tired now so was looking for somewhere good local to fareham if the toyota needs anything doing. any of the guys on here mobile mechanics for these?

Spanner on the diff filler and drain is 24mm - same size for autoxob and t/case drain and filler (for t/case)

hm , wonder if I have a 24mm spanner?. can you get an adjustable on the level plug?

No needs to be a socket Fett.

By the way, how close to Fareham, which area?
I'm at Sarisbury Green.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back