Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Suggestions- bad vibrations

spackrackman

80 manual.
Excessive vibration throughout the whole car, the more throttle the worse it gets, can no longer go over 50 as it's going to shake apart. BUT put the clutch in and it all goes away, roll in neutral fine, rev the engine fine as soon as clutch out and power on... Vibration. Clutch has slipped a few times over the last few weeks.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Cheers all
Jonnie

Have you checked the UJs on the prop shafts Jonnie?

Hi
Could be a loose engine?! Broken engine or gearbox mountings. You may need a crow bar to lift the weight of engine off each mounting to test. Don't know the exact design.
Presumably doesn't do it when you rev up in neutral?

Frank

No fine when revved, just pushed to 80mph and the vibration are a lot better. Effects worse from 45 to 60
Your a good lot!

No, was a metallic light weight sound when it originally started. Not sure related, sounded like something flapping around when excellerating.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
For the ease of doing it, I would drop the props & check them if only to rule them out - I have been told the rear one can make a sort of metallic noise...

Muxley was making that sort of noise on a trip - turned out the grease cap on the front hub had been pushed off in the centre cap & was rolling around in there plinky plonking!!!!! :lol:

Propshafts can make a metalic pinging sound when their uj's start to go. If you take a screwdriver and hit the middle of propshaft with it you might replicate the sound.

Frank

A bit of play in the rear prop UJ's can make it ring quite nicely. If you haven't changed the wheels & tyres coincident with the vibration starting then props are a good place to start. When you take the props off one at a time for a test run also check the diff pinion for play because that also causes vibration but is usually accompanied by an oil leak as the movement lets the oil past the seal.

Thanks all, after driving 50 miles yesterday and have to do the same today there is a loose metal sound when drive is applied so i think seeing that the clutch is slipping a little more regularly and now this vibration it's time to start some maintenance. Never dealt with prop shafts before or LC clutches so expect a post concerning them soon.

The lad i am bringing to fix my chassis crack has a LC80 in at the min that had very bad shudder and was terrible to drive.
What he found was the centre diff lock was stuck on causing axle windup
damaging the transfer box, a front prop UJ and the rear diff :shock:

I hope you fare out better :thumbup:

Got the same symptoms on my manual 80 only under acceleration, dissapears when I lift off the throtle and after 70mph, just checked rear axle oil level, very low !!! oops

Back