Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sunroof leaking and not working 100% electrically? Pics

So I screwed the sunroof back together and I don't know whether as a result of having it apart or the fact I sprayed it all with WD40, but I now have a sunroof that not just tilts, but also slides back now too. It definitely would not do that previously, to get it to slide back you just keep the open button held down, I had been doing this previously anyway thinking the tilt should open higher. So anyway, with it slid back, there's still no sign of any drain tubes, or drain holes. I'll have to look into the idea posted by Shayne above, not sure how to do that though, I'll have to have a bit of a google and a read, be handy if that breather valve seal thing could be installed.

IMG-5834.jpg

IMG-5835.jpg

Also, I repaired the wiring to my centre interior light above the head rests. The light works properly when the switch is in the "door" position. ie: comes on with doors open, goes off with door closed. However, with doors closed and I flip it to the "On" position, it doesn't light. Is this a dodgey switch or is there anything else that could affect the "on" feature of the light?

Also, does anyone know where to buy the sound deadening / insulation material that is stuck to the underside of the roof in between the head lining? Some of mine is a bit disintegrating, wouldn't mind replacing it.

IMG-5841.jpg

Last edited:
Doesnt seem to be applicable to yours, but a lot of cruiser oem sunroof drain hoses actually go down the pillars into the sills, and then out of the drain holes onto the road. When you hear water sloshing about, you know they're blocked !

I could do with seeing a pic of where the Toyota drains connect to the sunroof and the path they route to the pillar. I suppose I could give them any path across the roof to the pillar, it's where to drill the hole and how seal it is the main priority. I'll drive it with the lining removed and see where it's leaking, that's probably the place to drill the hole, at the lowest point.

Anyone got any tip about my interior light only working on door open and not with the switch in the "on" position?

Hi .My interior light switch did the same as yours but if I moved it back and forwards slightly in the "on" position it worked. I found it was the contact point on the swivel part of the switch wasn't connecting in the on position. Pinched one of the wifes emery nail boards and cleaned it up and now works fine. Put a bit of silicon grease or Vaseline on the contacts to stop them corroding up again. HTH

Some aftermarket sunroofs done't have a drain - they are designed to be completely water tight when closed. Can't tell from the pics if this is a drain version or not, sorry. If you don't want to actively use it, personally I would just seal the decking thing up - something like Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure (yes, that's a real thing!) will seal up most small, otherwise untraceable, leaks.

Bloody love this club the amount of information and help on here is amazing from sunroof injection pumps steering racks how to fix broken bits how not to break working bits though this is a short one it's a good read thanks blokes

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi .My interior light switch did the same as yours but if I moved it back and forwards slightly in the "on" position it worked. I found it was the contact point on the swivel part of the switch wasn't connecting in the on position. Pinched one of the wifes emery nail boards and cleaned it up and now works fine. Put a bit of silicon grease or Vaseline on the contacts to stop them corroding up again. HTH

Cheers for the tip, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some feature that could stop it working before I start rooting at the unit itself. I didn't think there was as iut works on the doors. I'll check the contacts as you did. :)

Back