Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sunroof leaking woes

Well...
Mine is leaking again... Again at the handle on the drivers side....
You sure it's not the windscreen that is leaking?

Next time you're out and driving at 80+kph try pushing the top corner of the screen 'out'..... mine was so loose I could hear and feel the wind comming through :icon-surprised:

I would expect that the windscreen isn't leaking because I had a rust spot repaired top right some time ago. Aslo the A pillar is only wet at the interior side, not the windscreen side.

Can't quite understand your logic there on both counts.... but I'm sure you know what you mean.

The body shop had the windscreen out some time ago, so I would think they've looked at it when reinstalling it...
But my second thought may indeed be incorrect. If it's getting through the A pillar, it would also get wet at the handle (through the screws)

Geert, when driving my 80 in heavy rain, it leaks through the two holes in the A piller where the grab handle should be fitted. It is so bad I have to hold a cloth there as it drips straight onto the window switches. If I pour water on the sun roof it runs down the drains and out the bottom as it should do.

So through a process of elimination I have realised it is not the sunroof that was causing my issue.... and as you mention it is doing the same on yours, I just thought it maybe what I causing your problem too?

But maybe if it rains heavily the drains can't take the amount of water and it comes through the hole behind the little plate on top (that joinerman mentioned)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My sunroof is now sealed up with glass tape and it is still getting wet down the pillar ;)

ow ok... I first thought it was coming through the screws of the snorkel, but those are too low for the water stain inside.
Ok I'll take a look at the windscreen again...

OK, I discoverd very wet carpets yesterday... grrr
Something is wrong.... I did see a broken bracket in the sunroof. But the carpets will be dried and then we're going to test where the water is coming in.

OK, I discoverd very wet carpets yesterday... grrr
Something is wrong.... I did see a broken bracket in the sunroof. But the carpets will be dried and then we're going to test where the water is coming in.
Geert,

Why don't you get some 50mm wide glass tape and tape your sunroof up. Then, if your carpets still get wet, you will know that it is not coming in via the sunroof :thumbup:

I have a similar problem and find that the amount of dampness is not always consistent with the amount of rain:think: I am now wondering if it is connected to my heating problem and if there may be a small leak somewhere in the heater matrix or pipework. Its always in the passenger side though...

I have a similar problem .... I am now wondering if it is connected to my heating problem and if there may be a small leak somewhere in the heater matrix

Are you loosing coolant? Have the carpets turned Red?

my carpets are dark brown but since i bought the truck about 14 months ago its never had antifreeze in it because I was constantly flushing it to try and get heat. occasionally with a rad flush I would get heat for a day or so then it was gone. i know I should have antifeeze in there for corrosion protection but figured that the heater matrix might have to come out....then i also discovered that I have an AC switch but no aircon. I have flushed the system many times but never bled it so the water levels used to vary but it never took loads to top it up. Also the truck takes about 15 minutes to warm up is this normal? I get great heat through back heater but nothing at the front which also mkes it impossible to drive in the rain because the windows wont demist!

After a few minutes mine starts blowing warm air in the front, I don't know about the back, because I only have front seats :)
Leaking problem still being investigated.

sounds ok. my heater always blows hot in the back but rarely in the front. if you ae getting good heat there within a few minutes i'd say its unlikely that you have a heater leak.

OK, got more info. Received some pages of the FSM from the IH8MUD forum, where it is clearly mentioned that the rubber needs to be sealed with some poly uerthane sealant. Twice. Between body and weather strip and glass and weather strip. After calling the body shop that had the windscreen out, they said they didn't do that... It's also not normal. It's a landcruiser thing. But without it, water will come through easily...
Handling this problem first.

BO-72.jpgBO-73.jpgBO-74.jpgBO-75.jpgBO-76.jpg

Dunno if it would help but i discovered a sealer i put on my stone floor tiles which is invisable . Obviously its not meant for rubber but i believe it is a liquid silicone of some sort and its invisible .
https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/p...a=X&ei=XRcuUfzVJuam0QXpxoHYBQ&ved=0CF8Q8wIwAA

It's bloody astonishing stuff its like water and a 3 years after putting it on my floor even blackcurrant juice doesn't penetrate the sand based patio grout i used between tiles .

Just thinking if you painted it on then wiped it away it may be thin enough to find any tiny holes and seal them up ?

Back