Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sunroof

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
I have been meaning to have a look at why my Sunroof hasn't been working for the last 18 months or so. I has always been a little tempramental but then one day it just stopped all together. It does look a bit naff and very much like an after thought but hey ho I've got one and it should work.

Any way the sun was out today and I was cruising down some A roads and thought "oooo I fancy the sunroof open" Pressed the button and :icon-surprised: it worked and has been doing all day.

Does anyone know if these are kind of like the rear window motors on the surfs, in as much as the work fine for no reason at all and the just stop for the same reason???

If it had stopped for a while and then restarted all on it's own, points to something simple in the electrical dept. It may be that you hit a pothole and the vibration freed something that was stuck.

Look for dodgy connections on commutator brushes, switches, relays and fuses.

Roger

IIRC the sunroof in a 90 has been one of the few true Toyota weaknesses. Not all had them fitted of course.

It is actually the first one I have ever heard of that works. Congratulations!

Chris

IIRC the sunroof in a 90 has been one of the few true Toyota weaknesses. Not all had them fitted of course.

It is actually the first one I have ever heard of that works. Congratulations!

Chris

make it 2 Chris mine is fine too

Ahh, it does at the moment....

Hey, party time. We've just doubled the number working in the UK. Seriously I do remember looking at lots of 90s before I got my first one and they all had that classic pushed in button problem. People had pressed them so hard they'd collapsed into the console. I seem to remember they came with a tool to put into the mechanism to wind it closed by hand.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
make it 2 Chris mine is fine too

Make it 3 - mine works fine and has done so for the last 10 or so years.........though now I expect it will get stuck the next time I try.

I think it may be the lack of use that buggers the sunroofs; mine is in use throughout the year, even in Winter I usually have it on tilt to get a bit of fresh air into the cabin. In the Summer, if it's not too hot, we have it slid back (or "scanned" as my young son likes to call it) - though it can get a bit blustery. Only if it's very hot do we close everything and put the aircon on.

How Roger?

Which screw gets undone? :think:

It's in the workshop manual Ben. You remove the grommet in front of the control switch. Then remove the screw inside. Then insert screwdriver and turn drive shaft. It doesn't say what type of screwdriver.

Roger

Anyone elses switch unit look like this

2013-04-05123150_zps2f0a6949.jpg

OK, point taken, so there are 5 working sunroofs in the UK. But I can categorically guarantee that there isn't another single one. :icon-rolleyes:

C

Sorry six working and the car is 15 years old plus............:clap:

Like I said, there are only 6 working sunroofs in the UK. And not a single one more :wtf:

Chris

:lol::lol::lol:

Now look, I've only got your word for these so called working sunroofs. I'm not falling for that anymore. :eusa-naughty: :eusa-snooty:
Anyone can just come on here and claim to have a working 90 series roof. For all I know, you may not even have a sunroof. There were only ever 53 fitted in the UK and that's a fact :whistle:
Chris

Anyway, mines called a "Moon-Roof".

Now does this worry me, just because your's is bigger than mine.

Mine at least works, every time, no problem. You just have to press the right button.

So there.:icon-cool:

Roger

Mine was working until i read this thread.The roof has a safety feature - sliding , it stops about 2/3rds the way shut &
you have to release the switch and press again so i guess lots of switches knackered by the ignorant/ham fisted

Mine was working until i read this thread.The roof has a safety feature - sliding , it stops about 2/3rds the way shut &
you have to release the switch and press again so i guess lots of switches knackered by the ignorant/ham fisted

So...Once again my truck seem to be an oddball then. All mine does is tilt then open or close. It doesn't stop anywhere unless I take my finger off the switch.

Not sure but I may have read somewhere that some sunroofs were added later but I am pretty sure that was on Prado Models and mine is definately uk spec, eventhough there doesn't seem to have been many of them about (It's a GS???????)

Is there anyone out there that has the switches that look anything like mine???

Back