Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sweden and Norway - August to September

If You need anything just ask the "locals" :innocent:

Jokes aside;
I can/will assist as I can on the Norwegian side.
Travelling second half of August means You are travelling when toe school holidays are done for. Wheich means alot less crowded camp sites & roads. Only tourist remains :laughing:
As You get into some altitude, You may very well experience sub Zero degrees at night in the end of August.

If Yoi intend to travel alot with ferries, its hard not to if You do the fas West route, get a "Ferrypass" & save a fortune.If You intend to travel on the bigger E-roads, sooner rather than later You will face tollroads. They are electronically collected, so either face the bill when it comes of get yourself an E-Tag from Autopass & again save a good deal of money.

IN PRINCIPAL You can look for NAF Camping if You are on the lower end of the quality&budget scale. NAF ist the equivalent to Your AA btw.
Most camp sites will be open to passing through guests.
Depending on where You travel, the socalled "free camping" referred to above is not quite as easy. You must stay no less than 100 meters from the closes building, not endager livestock or go onto farmland.
Pick up your litter & dont empty the toilette on the lawn....
Many laybys are being heavily targeted by certain travellers in HUGE caravans... Personally I don`t mix well with them.... so looking for more secluded spots may be good. Travelling the back roads will certainly give You WAY more scenery than the main roads.

Best maps are for free -> http://www.kartverket.no/Kart/

Feel free to ask :)

Hi

I'm need help with a Ferry Pass, I'm having a problem finding how to obtain this. Could someone send me a link to where I can get this.

Many thanks.

Gary

Hi Gary!
& Others :)

Information reg the "Ferry Pass" is abit difficult to find.
Unfortunately the N pages have not been translated into English at this present time.
An online translater MAY help, if not let me know
http://www.fjord1.no/ferje/ferjebillettar/verdikort-for-koyretoy

In short; U pay 3300NOK up front in fares + 100 NOK deposit for the card. Use the card to pay for the crossings & receive a 50% deduction in ferry fares. The deduction may not apply to all ferry companies. Then again, there aren`t that many & AFAIK they all accept their respective cards. If one travels "extensively" in West or North Norway, this can soon become rather helpfull. Possibly share it with other travellers. Whatever is left on the card will be refunded to U. Probably not in cash though....

As for the road tolls on public roads & tunnels/bridges in Norway, they are now ALL (!!) collected through "Auto-Pass". Any other "collection" can only occure if one travels over private roads. Some will have a letterbox where U drop U`r fee & write down U`r LP in a book.. Others can be with a credit card "slot" & an automatic gate.
Such roads can take U well away from the crowded "Yogurt-Camper-Trails" & along some pretty scenic routes.

F*ck.........
I see my long reply just dissapeared.......
& reappearedo_O

Just wanting to add that the -50% will apply to the vehicle only & that the deduction is -17% for fellow travellers.

U must decide if it is worth the "hazzle"....
Most of the locals have cards anyway:innocent:

F*ck.........
& reappearedo_O

Just wanting to add that the -50% will apply to the vehicle only & that the deduction is -17% for fellow travellers.

Peter,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply.

As far as I can see from the web site, this card can only be obtained when purchasing a ticket on the ferry. I could see no way of getting one on line. Is this correct?

Thanks for the info to about Auto-Pass, this I have already done online.
F*ck.........
& reappearedo_O

Peter,

Thank you so much for the detailed reply.

Am I correct in saying this card can only be applied for when purchasing a ticket. I could not see anywhere online to do this.

I have already signed up for Auto-Pass.

This is my final route.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gzfnkj6pQ7V5tx9kwkhcc14-P_c&usp=sharing

I be going up through Norway then back down through Sweden.

Thanks again for all your help.

Gary

Correct!
U can purchase this off the sailor at the desired ferry terminal. Nothing online to my knowledge.

Looking at U`r route, U may consider using FJORDLINE from Hirtshals to either Stavanger (Tanager) or Bergen.
The Strech Kristiansand-Stavanger is boring IMO.... unless U want to go to Lindesnes Lighthouse...
Watch out for the "Evil Eye" (speeding cameras) on this strech of road BTW.

U are certain abt the route from Stavanger heading North?
The strech is ...uhmmm..... narrow at best........Great salmon fishing towards Røldal if U are into that.

May I suggest taking a closer look at Bømlo?
If U go past (close by) Rosendal, I am there next week. Otherwise the moiuntains are incredible for hiking & Rosendal holds the only Barony in Norway. Nice rose garden.... for the Lady of the Cruiser :-D

Correct!
U can purchase this off the sailor at the desired ferry terminal. Nothing online to my knowledge.

Looking at U`r route, U may consider using FJORDLINE from Hirtshals to either Stavanger (Tanager) or Bergen.
The Strech Kristiansand-Stavanger is boring IMO.... unless U want to go to Lindesnes Lighthouse...
Watch out for the "Evil Eye" (speeding cameras) on this strech of road BTW.

U are certain abt the route from Stavanger heading North?
The strech is ...uhmmm..... narrow at best........Great salmon fishing towards Røldal if U are into that.

May I suggest taking a closer look at Bømlo?
If U go past (close by) Rosendal, I am there next week. Otherwise the moiuntains are incredible for hiking & Rosendal holds the only Barony in Norway. Nice rose garden.... for the Lady of the Cruiser :-D

Hi

Thanks.

This is an updated route.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gzfnkj6pQ7V5tx9kwkhcc14-P_c&usp=sharing

Hope you approve. :)

Kind regards

Gary

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hehe

I`d go North over Stord, use Sandvikevåg to Halhjem
Tysnes(øy) has not the most rewarding sights.......

Just stick to the E39 over Stord at You aim for Bergen.
I can`t see the value on going East @ Jektevik-Hodnanes
R49 across Tysnes is for "especially interested" parties IMO

Just a tip for the return leg - Stopping in Kautokeino is great. Make sure to see the Juhl's silver gallery: http://www.juhls.no/en . Not only a huge silversmith's gallery, but beautiful architecture and interior design as well.

Sweden is quite fast and boring, so going a bit longer each day will be easy. Suggesting to reduce the number of nights in northern sweden by one, and to drive to somewhere between the 2 north sweden stops when leaving Kautokeino. Then use the extra day in Stockholm e.g. The old city parts are quite fascinating. I can recommend a reasonably reasonable hotel just outside the city, with free parking, next to a tube station for visiting the city. (If you feel like a bit of luxury)

Another option is to see some more interresting parts of Finland, and going through Karasjok (still Norway), Inari, Rovaniemi; before crossing over to Sweden. You have to expect sub-zero temperatures tho' that far inland at this time of the year. Maybe better left for a more summerish season if you are not well equipped for winter.

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks to everyone who have given much appreciated input and advice. I think I have the route pretty much lock down now, uHu, I will take on your advice. Hoping to start out around 12 September, I know its a bit late in the year to be doing this, but being freelance I just know what I be doing in 3 months time. So this has be planned around work.

Will post some pics.

Regards
Gary

Feel free to get in touch if U need anything!

FI;
I crossed the Hardangervidda using the E134 from Seljord towards Odda Friday morning.
Some roadworks. Some great new tarmac. Snow is starting to bukd up in the highest altitudes. Roads are still clear.
It will (!!) get worse..............
https://www.facebook.com/Vinterveienshelter/
Alot more videos on "the Tube" in needed :)

Hi

Sorry for not posting this sooner.

I just want to thank everyone who helped make this an amazing trip.

This is the recorded route. Why I turned right at the Alantic road and missed completely, I will never know. :) Just means I will have to go back next year, big bummer, NOT.
Norway - Sweden 2016 Complete Trip v1.jpg

Link to map. https://goo.gl/maps/AfydFGh4nFx

Link to Pics of the trip. https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgQA8EJvpzpzsaZVko-X2RLER8GylQ

Day 8 and 15 are good examples of how the trip was.

It was amazing thing to do. Learned loads about myself, a tone of do's and don'ts. But most of all, all I'm thinking about is my next trip. At this moment I be quiet happy going on the road for the rest of my life, me and LC. Bring it on. I could go on about it for days. :)

Again a big thanks to everyone.

Merry Christmas and a very Safe New Year to you all.

Best wishes.

Gary

Back