Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tail Happy 80s

IRLGW

How do other 80 owners find their truck handling in the snow/ice without CDL engaged? I am beginning to think mine is excessively tail happy and wondering if this is the symptom of a failed VC or is it just characteristic of 80s.cant say I noticed it before but its a long time since it was driven extensively on snow/ice. I have had to save it a few times by pressing the cdl while going sideways and luck I did the dash switch mod otherwise would have been toast from not being able to press it.

This is typical behaviour. Remember your 80 is only 4 wheel drive when all four wheels are on tarmac and have traction. Just one wheel on ice and it becomes 1 wheel drive.

The weight of the front versus that of the rear, will mean rear wheels break traction first.

Regards

Dave

Also tail happy!
My vw caddy on winter tires behaves better in fresh snow than the 80.

As long as the CDL (or any diff lock for that matter) is not used continually on high traction surfaces, then I would leave the CDL engaged until clear of the ice, no harm will be done, you will at least have 2 wheel drive.

The VC action is quite limited in it's action........until they seize, then it becomes a full time CDL, many throw them when they fail, they are not cheap.

Regards

Dave

Ive often had my cd locked constantly when driving on snow and hardpack.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
With around 300 kg in the back, mine was very well behaved even on black ice. All low speed mind but I did give it some welly that spun the wheels but it stayed straight.

No vc . in mine happy drifting all the way up the Chedder gorge in the snow. Loads of fun

No vc . in mine happy drifting all the way up the Chedder gorge in the snow. Loads of fun
I meant to give you a shout yesterday as I was near there

Should have mate were out playing.

Lots of fun

Coming from a swb the tail happy thing of the 80 very obvious to me but it's an inherent fault of a narrow track and long wheel base , her ass is so far behind sideways G force is greater at the lighter rear end and so it wants to kick out .

Your CDL saves you so your mechanical "traction control" is doing what its supposed to do .

Tyre choice/condition and load weight will obviously make a difference here but I certainly wouldn't say that the 80 is excessively tail happy. A properly functioning VC is way better than a fully open diff without question. It's just such on road conditions that it was put in there for. Sure, you can still get the back end out with a bit more right foot but that's hardly a fault of the vehicle. JMO.

Tyre choice/condition and load weight will obviously make a difference here but I certainly wouldn't say that the 80 is excessively tail happy. A properly functioning VC is way better than a fully open diff without question. It's just such on road conditions that it was put in there for. Sure, you can still get the back end out with a bit more right foot but that's hardly a fault of the vehicle. JMO.
Agreed.
In general the back only steps out when im messing about. When it does i find it predictable and controllable.
i much prefere a vehicle that oversteers than understeers.

Fault TP? Did anyone suggest it a fault? Maybe, but I love it :lol:

I spent too long driving mamby ‘front-wheel-drive cars’ so it was such a relief to get into something that behaves ‘properly’ in skiddy conditions. :icon-biggrin:

Tbh unless provoked I don't find it too bad even in rwd, I only pop the cdl in if I'm going to be on snowy/icy roads for a reasonable time or distance.
My previous motors were Isuzu troopers so selectable 4wd. They had manual hubs which meant getting out in the cold!!
Also drive beemers so used to being a little tail happy especially in snow.

Back