Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tailgate repairs agreed by Mr T

paul c

Took my 9.5 year old V8 to my local toyota dealer, Hills of Woodford, and asked them about resolving the rust issues on the tailgate. Rang them after 4weeks and have had the repairs autherised. I will even get a courtesy car as they want it for 5 days! A real result thanks to this forum and the previous owner pointing out.

Lucky you didn't attempt to repair it yourself (like me) or this would have ended being quite a different story.

John

Would the answer be different if the car was an import?

I see that behaviour from dealers here. They are more "lenient" and helpful when it comes to cars they have sold themselves. For imports, they follow the factory warranty from TMC strictly, and only if pushed.

....I see that behaviour from dealers here. They are more "lenient" and helpful when it comes to cars they have sold themselves. For imports, they follow the factory warranty from TMC strictly, and only if pushed.

I don't think the dealer in question is the one that sold the car originally? If it is a UK car, then any UK dealer should be "helpful" enough to do warranty repairs, shouldn't they?

I'm not sure where imports stand with regard to warranty claims.

I don't think the dealer in question is the one that sold the car originally? If it is a UK car, then any UK dealer should be "helpful" enough to do warranty repairs, shouldn't they?

I'm not sure where imports stand with regard to warranty claims.

My understanding is as follows:

Imports would definitely be treated differently, especially if it's a JDM import. The Grey imports (Irish into UK etc) might still be able to get a repair done at a reasonable cost, but I'd not expect a JDM one to be looked after.

uHu, being in Norway, also has the challenge that there is no EU legislation covering the transferability of warranties between purchase and end user markets. Basically the EU have said that the manufacturer backed warranty must be honoured in all EU countries, however, importer/dealer backed warranty's are only valid on products bought and used in that market.

For example if car K was offered with a distributor backed 7yr warranty in the UK, and a 3yr warranty in France, and the car was bought in the UK for the ultimate end use in France then the warranty would be with the UK distributor, and therefore no point in going to the French distributor in yrs 2-7. The manufacturers IIRC have to honour the 1st year warranty as that is the minimum warranty under EU sale of goods legislation that a new car can be sold with.

A lot of this dates back to the mid-late 90's when the Grey import market was at it's height in the UK with cars coming in from low pre-tax price markets, which then gave a greater saving when the UK taxes were applied (Cars are an anomaly in EU legislation, in that tax is paid at Point of Use rather than point of purchase)... and often a lesser warranty that required an additional warranty to be purchased to give the same cover as the UK supplied car.

Perforation and paintwork warranty might be a different case to mechanical warranty, but I'd suspect it's a bit of a mine field as well...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You are correct chadr the dealer had not sold me the car. I am the third owner. When I first rang the dealer the response was that I would have to pay, but I pointed out what members on this forum had said and had achieved. He then put me through to the body shop who said bring it down to have photos taken. Hills of Woodford (Essex) told me this is the first one they have had to do. A real result.

I'm not complaining. You win some and you loose some. At the end of the day, my local bodyshop did a bang up job on repairing my rusty upper tailgate. Hopefully this will give me enough time to save up a few pennies to enable me to replace the tailgate altogether. Until then, the repair will just have to suffice.

John

Well the cruiser went of to Hills (my local Toyota dealer) yesterday to have its tailgate done. They had priced to spray both bumpers and tail board but as they estimated £1800,!!!!!!!!, to do the additional damage repair work this will have to be done somewhere else. My courtesy car is a 5 door Toyota Aygo NME ice. A touch on the small side but better than walking, it even has paddle shift! Another body shop in Romford Essex is carrying out the bodywork and should have the car back on Friday.

Paul c

I just noticed Mr T stole my Australian Haynes workshop manual for the Prado/Colorado when my truck was in for a service !

Well had a call today from Mr T to say that my car might be finished next Tuesday. This means I will have the shopping trolley for another 4 days! By the way this automatic Aygo is not that cheap to run. £20 to do 100 miles.

Paul c

Hi Guys,
I have just had the upper and lower tailgate warranty claim approved by Toyota. They are replacing with new doors not just repairing. Interestingly at the same time they rejected the front wing that had much worst rust coming through. They said it had been repaired at some stage in the past and hence this was the reason for the rust coming through. So a result sort of but happy the system works. It is a manual 04 plate Amazon with just over 100K miles on the clock. My previous 100 series Amazon had exactly the same problem. I have seen 2 others with significant rust on the seams at the bottom of both upper and lower doors. This obviously a common problem.

I'm going to have Mr T look at mine on the next service...

Back