Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Taking the seats out of a 120

Well, noise has been found. One very bad wheel bearing :(

Awww shucks,,,,

You have all the luck :thumbdown:

Gra.

I just look at it as my role in keeping the motor industry (of Japan) from crumbling....

Hi Crispin,

What is your mileage?
I seem to have in my mind it is around the 70k

If any one bought a Friday car, then surely it seems to be you unfortunatly. :thumbdown:

Gra.

Graham said:
If any one bought a Friday car, then surely it seems to be you unfortunatly. :thumbdown:

Gra.

No that would be Gary and his air con compressor issues :roll:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sssshhh - been running happily (if a bit noisily) for almost a year now. Fully expect it to break imminently ...

When I eventually do meet up with Gary and Crispin, if you blokes can park as far away from my 120, .... :whistle:
Most obliged.
'Dont want old Betsy getting any bad habits. :lol:

Gra.

If you find a better way to get the old bearing off than with an angle grinder, let me know.

http://twitpic.com/a8rqv2

Might almost take mine off again this weekend to refit the disc brake dust cover I forgot to put back (which I fear is the service routine to regrease). Although got a timing belt to do first.

Got it all back today. New hub needed as well as bearing was stuck.

Here's to a long bearing life :thumbup:

Yikes. What does a hub cost?

They all seem to stick. Hard to believe bearing couldnt be cut off though unless something horrible had happened and it had coroded onto the "stub axle" bit of the hub. But perhaps if you're paying for labour a new hub is cheaper.

Hub was about £110-£120 I think (special to club members from Simon)

The two are not cast together so, with time, you could get them apart. Time though is what I was paying for and it will rapidly become cheaper to get a new hub if you're at a dealer.

The previous hub was also glued together and needed a new one :(
The bearing case is a press-fit and I guess corrosion over time glues them together..

That sounds pretty good for a hub. What does one do to be a club member?

The bearings seem to just be a very tight fit. The bearings are in two races in the bearing casting. You can pull the casting off easily enough with a hydraulic puller - well I say easily, I think I bent the handle of my puller, but it's a cheapy Draper one. Problem is that pulls off the top race and leaves the bottom one attached to the hub "axle". It's very hard to then get anything to hold under that race to pull it off. I've seen another forum post (possibly on the err, other UK LC forum) where the guy took his to a machine shop and they removed it through unspecified means. I did mine with an angle grinder *very* carefully, but it did take me hours. The "axle" bit of the hub was still shiney, no corrosion at all. I suspect one of these http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... -separator might get under the race and give you something to attach a puller to. Probably worth a punt at 20 quid when the other side goes on mine.

Crispin

Hailing back to my hub replacement, before the demise of my 120, the hub/ bearing is a press fit setup. If yours was dodgy, as mine was, it might have been the seals that are supposed to keep the bearing reasonably free of water and crap. Given the wading ability of a 120 t'm surprised it isn't a bit more robust, but there you go. Mine had been replaced before I got the 120 but was done incorrectly without the seals and so failed again. The grumbling sounded worse than it was. The bearing would have probably run for years but the noise is really annoying. It's a helluva tight fit on the stub axle and i used a local engineering firm to pull the bit off (like Rob's) that I couldn't and press on the new one. There's a seal supposed to be sandwiched in there too, between bearing and hub...that's one bit that was missing on mine.

NC. Yours was the guide I followed to do mine. Very, very useful!

Crispin, glad to see my advice was relevant. Next time you have a problem you know who to call... :whistle: :whistle:

Thanks NC - I do find it a bit weird that I've lost two bearings like this. I think a clue is that I also have two newish disks and a new caliper.

Yes Mike, next time I have a weird noise I'll know who to ask :think: ;)

Back