Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tapping noise from front when turning under power

You test the preload with a spring balance on the one of the wheel studs pulling on the tangent of the circle they make, or parallel with the ground with one stud right at the top. FWM says "frictional force + 6-12 ft lbs. I assume you measure the frictional force with the bearings just slackened off. In addition I tested mine driving 6 miles without using the brakes, parking up and making sure each front hub was not hot. I don't think a good bearing would be noisy even if over tight.

Thanks Frank. I did the spring balance test and TBH I think I'm just a wee bit paranoid. I've got Cooper STTs on all round and it's been off the road for a month so I've sort of forgotten what the right noises are. I like the non braking drive idea. That was what made me decide as one hub was slightly warmer than the other. I'm just going to revisit as per JVs instructions. I think that way must be fool proof.

Last edited:
Redid the bearing preload this morning. Used JVs method which makes certain everything's as it should be. Didn't check the preload before I started as I figured this would only cloud the issue as to whether to redo or not. Interestingly they took a bit more tightening, ended up around 10lbs on one side and 12 on the other or as accurately as you can measure. Once the locknut was tightened that went up to about 14 and 16lbs.

Happy now[emoji4]. There's a certain peace of mind that comes from doing something in a known proven way. Thanks JV.

All feeling and sounding good now. The EBC brakes are bedding in nicely if slightly squeaky on the very odd occasion. None of the groaning and difficulty holding it back experienced before when In low range about to do a hill descent. They are really nicely progressive with plenty of 'stand it on its nose' stopping power. Really happy with them so far.

Back