Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

tapping noise

k1elliott

Hi All,

I've got a worsening tapping/clicking noise audible in the cabin under moderate acceleration.
Its not presistent at cruising speeds no matter what rev. Nor is it audible under heavy acceleration.

It's a weird one. I've got 93k miles on the clock. Timing belt done done at 73. I'm thinking injector(s). There's a strong smell of diesel fumes at idle. That may be normal however.
No smoke. Always starts on the button. Noisy in cold conditions until warm.

I'm about to dive into the injectors but would like a steer if possible from you guys.

Ta,
Ken.

k1elliott said:
There's a strong smell of diesel fumes at idle. That may be normal however.
I haven't got any suggestions for your noise but I don't think a strong smell of diesel can be normal Ken.

Thanks Jon.

I think I'll go for it anyway. Can't do any harm.

I'm always reluctant to take the cylinder cover off. I can yank at t/bars, control arms etc 'til the cows come home but under the rocker is a dark art to me ....

Here goes ....

I can't believe the amount of crud in the intake ! Like 5mm thick in most places. something pleasing about cleaning it out.

I'm in deep. Got the injectors out, the intake manifold is coming off today.

Guess what - I think I found the source of the noise....... I was wondering where that maglite went :oops:

Found it up against the bulk head near the brake flid resevoir. What a knob. Anyway, glad I took the cylinder head off. The injectors look clogged up at the tips and the intake as a whole is/was filthy.

Is there any risk leaving the cover off for a few days if the car is outdoors? I sprayed oil over the rocker arms etc yesterday and will do the same today and ensure that there is no debris/dust etc on the moving parts.

k1elliott said:
Guess what - I think I found the source of the noise....... I was wondering where that maglite went :oops:
I think we would have been guessing a long time before we came up with that one :lol:

If the engine bay is covered i.e. bonnet down there shouldn't be a problem leaving it like that for a while.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Very good Ken.
Looks like you are doing a good job.
How much for servicing the injectors?

I got a call this morning from the crowd in Dublin that I dropped them off to.

They said that the nozzles were prettly badly clogged up. Indeed by sight they looked pretty scruffy.

They've quoted 75 Eur a pop for new Denso nozzles and springs. Bit expensive imo but I'm looking forward to feel how she runs after the 'new' injectors and cleaned out intake system.

I have to say that all in all it's not a difficult job in terms of required knowledge. The hardest part as nathanrobo also intimated in another post is getting the injectors out. He used an M6 and I used a hook under the injector inlet. Both involved leverage. I had to climb up on the engine for about 50% of the total work time. Numbers 4 through 6 are pretty difficult to work with.

Having said all that - she's not back together yet so I won't brag too much ;-)

The injector seal in #6 is still in there which I have get out. Might be a problem. I'm also a little concerned about how to clean out the injector seating area without getting any crud through the hole into the chamber. Thinking of taping some narrow tubing to the end of the hoover nozzle to get the heavy stuff out before swabbing with diesel soaked ear buds or something similar. Hoping the remaining seal will be lifted by the suction....

K

Back