Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

TDS 9.5 Winch Servicing

TonyP

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
So the last few times I have needed to use my winch it has started to give me a bit of grief. Basically I spool it out using the free spool, hook up and then start spooling in. So it works fine and seems to be pulling as expected. However if for any reason I stop pulling and the try to start pulling again it just won't work. Nada nothing. I then need to wait 10 mins or so before it will work again, so it seems like a thermal cut out. Interesting enough I can still use the controle to spool out.

So this evening I have removed it woth the intention of servicing it, but my question is are there any servicible items in the winch itself? Is there anything in the solenoid pack that can be serviced? Obviously a good clean is in order, but anything else?

Cheers, Tony

Brace yourself with a good stiff G&T, get comfy & give David Bowyer a call at Goodwinch for a chat - if you can get the winch close enough to the telephone, he'll try to reach down the line to do it for you!!! :lol:

Don't do it when you're short on time though... :cool:

I've got the same winch and have had to service it a couple of times.

The two issues I had were.

1) The contacts in the solenoid pack needed to be cleaned as they were working intermittently. Winch would spool in but not out. Was a bit fiddly to take apart but solved the problem.

2) Some internal corrosion in the cone brake housing which stalled the motor. Easy to remedy by taking the end cap off, removing the brake shoes and cleaning up with some emery paper.

When trying to use the winch recently I noticed that the freespool would not engage so no drive to the reel so I think It'll need to come out again for some more TLC.

Cheers

Thanks Richard, that's kinda what I was thinking. Any thing I should be aware of when I start stripping it? No big springs going to jump out and go pinging off never to be found?

Gav Peter said:
Brace yourself with a good stiff G&T, get comfy & give David Bowyer a call at Goodwinch for a chat - if you can get the winch close enough to the telephone, he'll try to reach down the line to do it for you!!! :lol:

Don't do it when you're short on time though... :cool:
lol Was thinking of giving David a call, but I may hold off on that for a bit :whistle:

Tony, I have a clue for you on this one. What you perhaps are forgetting is that the solenoid pack on your front Goldfish is..... a....

Wait for it ..............

WARN!!!!!!

I would chuck it and get an Albright or something. That will be the problem because as we all know Warn are s...

Chris

Hmmmm Chris, you may very well have a point.... I do think that this was not helping either :shock:

IMAG0182-M.jpg

That's the main +ve feed to the winch, rubbing up against something..... worn right through both the outer shield and the plastic covering right down to the metal.... :shock: On a plus side this could be the source of the battery drain that I have been experiencing...

I will try servicing the Warn solenoid pack first, as I really can't be spending more money right now :thumbdown: But defo something for the future :whistle:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hmm, methinks that might have a teensy bit to do with it.

C

I wasn't impressed with the quality of the standard solenoid construction so I'm not surprised yours might need changing! I'd have the extra duty :mrgreen: Is that different to the HD one DB sells?

Why not do a YouTube vid for us as I am sure it will come in handy down the road. I have not yet installed my winch but am also going to change/upgrade the solenoid so watching this with interest.

Jon Wildsmith said:
I wasn't impressed with the quality of the standard solenoid construction so I'm not surprised yours might need changing! I'd have the extra duty :mrgreen: Is that different to the HD one DB sells?
It's not clear whcih one DB sells, he has a heavy duty one @ £59 plus VAT + Shipping so comes to £87. The more expensive one from Devon 4x4 comes to £70 with shipping, so really a no brainer... Will do a quick google to see if anyone else does them, but I doubt it will be cheaper than the £70.

warrenpfo said:
Why not do a YouTube vid for us as I am sure it will come in handy down the road. I have not yet installed my winch but am also going to change/upgrade the solenoid so watching this with interest.
hmmm, not sure about a vid, but can certainly take loads of pics :)

Repeat - it's NOT a goldfish solenoid. It's from the original, earlier Warn winch set up. Andy has the TDS solenoid on his truck. That's why it's so poor.

Chris

Chris said:
Repeat - it's NOT a goldfish solenoid. It's from the original, earlier Warn winch set up. Andy has the TDS solenoid on his truck. That's why it's so poor.

Chris
Quite right Chris, not implying that DB's goods are in anyway substandard

the solenoid supplied on the goldfish I had on the 100 was very poor quality construction, the contact pads had fallen off the connecting bars. Replaced with a HD Albright from DB Gav don't worry I didn't bother patching it up ;)

Indeed - but I was simply putting people back on track as regards the problem with your current ones and other's experiences such as Jon's with TDS ones. I have had three TDS and never a minute's trouble but the Warn ones were glitchy and prone to overheating. I am impressed that they lasted this long. Once I swapped the Warn on LB I couldn't take the Warn pack out of the grill and leave a huge hole. So I swapped the winches but not the solenoids.

To be fair the TDS ones are clearly built to a price and the money goes into the winch I think and less so on the solenoids.

Chris

no question yours were working well at Lincomb this weekend Chris :lol:

Actually Jon, I had a bit of trouble with the rear one. The remote is in the bridge and that is under the truck and that is surrounded by 6mm steel plate. I found that if I strayed a small distance or even from inside the cabin, the signal was a bit patchy. Also I discovered that I cannot operate both at exactly the same time via the remotes. With one running, if I press the other remote - it stops. Some interference going on there. In terms of servicing, which this thread is about, I shall probably strip mine at some point and give it a clean and grease. I would suggest using marine grease. You could use CV grease I guess, but this marine stuff is really waterproof. Just don't get it on the brake parts.

Aside from that they pulled all day long, never stalled, I never ran out of battery juice and they never tripped.

Chris

Jon Wildsmith said:
the solenoid supplied on the goldfish I had on the 100 was very poor quality construction, the contact pads had fallen off the connecting bars. Replaced with a HD Albright from DB Gav don't worry I didn't bother patching it up ;)
Good man JW :cool:

Chris said:
Aside from that they pulled all day long, never stalled, I never ran out of battery juice and they never tripped.

Chris

OT but I winched myself up the far hill (furthest black trail). I ran off all but about 5 turns off the winch and pulled it all the way up. Noisy as anything but it pulled it well. Quite happy with it. :dance:

I too have the problems with the remotes. About 5-10m is the limit with lots of drops-outs. Mine receiver is sitting in the controlbox which is tucked into the bumper. Not too bad....

You could always extend the wires so the winch receiver can go somewhere more radio wave friendly. They will all be operating on the same frequency so not much you can do about only using them one at a time.

Back