Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Temperature Point

horukuru

Country Flag
malaysia
Hio all,

My radiator tank was overheat and replaced with a new ones. Then I noticed, the temperature pin is right in the middle and not below like last time?

My engine is 1HZ non turbo. What should I do? Top overhaul or?

Thanks a lot

Sounds about right to me horu. Did you change the thermostat at the same time? Are you losing any water? Any smoke from the exhaust?
Clive has the 1HZ so may be able to comment on needle position but to me that sounds right.

If you have no other symptoms you may have got away with it. Monitor it and see maybe.

Sounds about right to me horu. Did you change the thermostat at the same time? Are you losing any water? Any smoke from the exhaust?
Clive has the 1HZ so may be able to comment on needle position but to me that sounds right.

If you have no other symptoms you may have got away with it. Monitor it and see maybe.

I didn't changed the thermostat. Should I?

Any not losing the water in the coolant tank and radiator so far.

Smoke as usual black from the exhaust.

Black :scared-eek:
You should have no smoke. Maybe the odd puff of black but if black all the time then it is over fuelling. Is your air filter blocked?

It is not necessary to change the thermostat if it is opening correctly, which, without testing it, sounds about right with the gauge in mid position.

Black :scared-eek:
You should have no smoke. Maybe the odd puff of black but if black all the time then it is over fuelling. Is your air filter blocked?

It is not necessary to change the thermostat if it is opening correctly, which, without testing it, sounds about right with the gauge in mid position.

Hahaha sorry!

It is a puff black and not all the time hehehe.

Horu, my HZJ 80 has always run with the temp needle at Centre or horizontal, whichever way up you view the gauge.

The centre or normal "band" is quite wide so if it deviates too much from centre, then that's the time to think something may be amiss.

As for the thermostat, they do fail occasionally, as follows:

1. They stick in the open position.

This causes the warm-up time to get longer and in extreme cold conditions, the engine may never get to running themperature. It happened to me and the worst effect in the winter was a very cool heater. A new thermostat cured it, now the engine is up to temperature in about 5 minutes from start-up, irrespective of the outside temperature.

2. They stick in the closed position.

This causes the engine to overheat. The gauge will rise from the cold position, but won't stop in the centre. It will continue to rise into the red, and if the engine isn't turned off at this stage, the coolant will boil and it will all be blown into and overflow the expansion bottle. Once dry of coolant, the engine will just get hotter until something breaks, usually the cylinder head, which either warps, cracks or both. If you're very lucky, it will just blow the cylinder head gasket, but that's rare, we're usually not that lucky.

So, if your warm-up time is acceptable and the gauge stays at centre (or thereabouts, a few mm either side is still normal) then I'd say you have no problems.

Danger is when the needle goes right to the top.

Good luck...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
After spending on a new rad change the stat they cost sod all when you consider your engines life depends on it . Why anyone would go to the trouble of pulling it out to test with a view to put it back in is beyond me , it's a consumable part even if it might last 20 years or more .

Thanks a lot folks. Will check the thermostat once I'm back from birding trip :D

The stat may have been forced to open further than it has done for years when the engine started to overheat, just change it and everything should be fine.

The standard gauge will show 'normal' temperature long before the engine is actually there. Then it stays there until the engine is virtually overheating, the gauge is designed that way!, much in the way many modern cars get a red light.........when you have overheated!

I copied a guy in the US who sorted out the correct electronic components to make the gauge reflect the true temperature of the engine.

Regards

Dave

Back