Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tent Advice Appreciated

Michael Montgomery

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hey wonderful forum members,

I'm looking to change by camping from the rooftop tent / awning setup this season. With the travel restrictions in place looking for a tent setup and so was looking at the Oztent jet tent / Oxley 5 models that suited loading it in the rear of the cruiser easier.

At £1000 they are not cheap (unless i managed to get a used one for cheaper) and you don't get much value of space compared to other brands here in the Uk.

My needs are :
-Must be able to load in the rear of the cruiser
- Easy to set up on my own i.e Air Pump versions
- Must be suitable for hot Cyprus weather
- Must have a canopy design for sitting under the shade
- 3-4 Man version max to keep the footprint & weight down

So far looked at outwell, Vango, coleman models range in price but not sure of the quality & value. Zempire Aero TM Pro Air 3 Berth 2021 looks pretty good reviews and is closer to fitting my needs but pricy still.

Any thoughts appreciated ....thanks :blush:

aero-tm-pro-7.png
aero-tm-pro-9.png
aero-tm-pro-6.jpeg

Attachments

• 1616065888289.png
    1616065888289.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • 1616065933482.png
    1616065933482.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
We have the zempire tl pro and it's been good for us, we had it in Spain in 40°C sun and Czech Republic in pouring rain and it didn't break a sweat. We do have the extra roof cover and I think it makes a massive difference.
While in Spain I forgot to pull out the little rods that keeps the side entrance up and it broke, got in touch with zempire and they send me some new ones, I also got an extra air insert from them as a backup. Their support was very good and very helpful, even when I asked stupid questions.
We also have their shade awning which is a perfect addition to the tent for some extra cover.

Hey thanks for your input and shared experience. 40c plus is common weather here too like Spain so am interested in the top cover, footprint base and looking at the carpet option.

Good to hear you're happy with the tent. Seeing your is the next model larger than what i'm looking to buy. I'm slowly warming up to this tent. Found one used for £600 but it's far away to collect and delivery issues also not easy to arrange. Some good deals on new too so looking at all options going forward. :angry:

We are a family of 3 and use this one: Instant Up 6P Gold Evo Tent - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

It's a great tent and easy to put up and down. The person rating is a crap, you have to at least halve it. Takes about 20 mins realistically including pegs and loading up with all the useless crap the wife wants to bring along.

I know you're still in lockdown in the UK so it would be worth trawling YouTube for reviews and setting up to see how much faff it will be.

Whilst you're at it I strongly recommend getting some screw in tent pegs. 10 secs per peg with an impact gun! Some might say lazy.

We are a family of 3 and use this one: Instant Up 6P Gold Evo Tent - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

It's a great tent and easy to put up and down. The person rating is a crap, you have to at least halve it. Takes about 20 mins realistically including pegs and loading up with all the useless crap the wife wants to bring along.

I know you're still in lockdown in the UK so it would be worth trawling YouTube for reviews and setting up to see how much faff it will be.

Hey nice tent saw this a while back. Didn't look much into it being sold overseas and now moved towards a larger tent for more space . The pegs are pretty good that come with the tent but those screw type ones would be a good back up. In Cyprus the ground can be rocky underneath in places and may prove to be good to help with that issue. Found various sellers on Ebay Uk so will grab a set thank you for your tip.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah here the campsites vary. Some are dead easy some seem like they are 4 inches of soil on solid concrete!

Was never in to camping when I lived in the UK so I don't know much about the scene there, but here we have some great camping shops you can see and use the gear.

Porta potty also revolutionised our camping experience both in the camper trailer and tent. Whilst you could cope ok as a bloke if you're not too fussy it makes it a lot easier especially if you need the loo at night!

we bought something like this about 15 years ago .A no brand cheap thing that's still good .Ours has poles that can be used to peg out the doors into awnings , you can stand up inside & even boil a kettle or cook if you're careful. the central section does'nt have a groundsheet .We've only used it about 10 - 12 times for a few days at a time so not sure how UV safe it is .Our also has a removable hat thingy over the middle.Some hazel poles or cane , cord , tarp & pegs makes a good enough awning off the roofbars of a Landcriser .Unless you're planning more than a week camping , several times a year i would rool the dice on something cheap.

Hey thanks for sharing. Being in Cyprus UV and heat is an issue so cant take any chances with quality tried and tested. I'll most like use the tent every weekend 2-3 days from May - September so its going to be used Have the added expense and timeframe of a couple of months to get this to me so looking at this now will know in May how whats been chosen works out for my needs. Having a family tent like the Zempire helps get all the furniture, kitchen, lights and even a Mosi zapper lol etc.

Location and setup in Cyprus we don't have much of any infrastructure for camp sites and so wild camping is a better go. Moving away from my roof top tent and awning setup mainly because it didn't provide me the levels of comfort being a more temporary quick set up and go for over-landing across great distances. Having mosquitoes are a real turn off when you want to stay outside after dark. Having a large home like tent gives me the feel of a home and so can stay for days on the beach front while keeping the cruiser on hand to drive locally if need be. Basically the switch fits my needs far more having lived the setup i have now for a few years.

If you have any pictures please share always good to learn from others.

I'll most like use the tent every weekend 2-3 days from May - September
so worth investing in something more sturdy but that design is good for keeping cool as you can get a through draft .Also some sort of shade over the camp can be good - we have some black garden netting that we use over our outdoor shower & over the yurt but we've got plenty of trees .Maybe a second hand trailer tent is the way to go ?

The front of this tent opens up for shade thats important and as for shower / toilet looking at getting a shower tent for this purpose for the times in remote locations.

Trailer tent are not sold here and would add to large cost with uk collecting. shipping and taxes etc of £1000's here. Also cannot in a lot of places drive and setup much like the cruiser setup anymore as here in Cyprus they have closed off a lot of locations for vehicles hence my tent setup idea.

Thanks

1616343975197.png
1616345735816.png

Last edited:
We have this Zempire camp kitchen

Seems pretty good quality etc., this coming easter will be the first time we use it fingers crossed!

Guys just a quick update. Bought and now delivered to me the Zempire tent. Working on learning this new setup from my existing one.

Took me ages to get to grips with it being the first time. I’m thankful it proved to me the right choice for me for now. Enjoyed the extra space and more home like comfort feel it provides from the roof tent of old.
934C09EF-C85E-4E44-9E8A-2A8E95505B96.jpeg

4DC73947-C49C-4EC5-945A-05A0443699F4.jpeg

Next week looking at offloading the roof tent and awning saving 100kg of weight and drag plus the draw systems gonna be taken out too. Need the extra room in the rear for more flexibility to house more equipment and offload easier between seasons. Also taken it will save on weight.

Attachments

• CDA87BDD-8510-41F3-9BD7-2B9DD7C9A969.jpeg
    CDA87BDD-8510-41F3-9BD7-2B9DD7C9A969.jpeg
    523.3 KB · Views: 36
Yeah one of the many reasons I choose this tent. A little on the heavy side of 38KG but it’s more compact then the 25kg plus 2.5 metre long oztent RV4/5 I was looking at. Also I found it better value for the space / size of the tent with an attached awning for the heat in Cyprus. The blacked out windows helps with this too. Thanks

Might also suggest looking at the inflatable tents from Heimplanet. These are not cheap, but was told recently they can withstand 150kmhr winds..the Cave version. With an on board air compressor to inflate ..it's another option vs the RTT.

That’s certainly a unique design. Too small for my needs but looks like a quality product. Thanks

Back