Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The bad things about the 80?

And what have the Romans ever done for us…?

Salt Richard.

We live on the abandoned salt road from Droitwich to Bridgnorth. Fortunately we'd had 2000 years of rain before we moved here.

Most annoying thing re 80 is the ally rear locker which rots. Why didn't they make it plastic like the centre one?

Roadholding can be poor when you hit a bump on on a bend at speed.

I suspect too thin a wire to the electric windows making them slow.

too thin a wire to the electric windows making them slow
I suspected this and added a 2.5mm + and - to the switches and the difference this made was absolutely nothing you could see.
I agree the windows are a poor area.

I don’t buy this ‘thin wire’ problem. They didnt come off the production line with slow windows and crap lights. Wires don’t wear out but connectors and switch contacts corrode and oxidise if not protected. Add in bad window rubbers, worn mechs and/or motors and you get slow windows.

The window motors are coupled up to a plastic gearbox which when I did mine I used a 70 series motor which has a cast metal gearbox.. when I compared the movement in both types of gearboxes the plastic one was deformed and had a lot of drag compared to the cast older design on the 70.

Just another way to make production costs lower! Same as the wing connecting bolts I mentioned!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
To keep things in perspective the design is now about 33 years old, I think the shortcomings mentioned so far are acceptable.

I have gone through many cars over the years, and the 80 is the longest owned thus far.

The over centre pinion front diff is weak in reverse IMO the only true oversight from an off road operational point of view.

I know this is two, regular daily use means handbrake seems to lose efficiency between inspections.

Regards

Dave

I feel you Clive - I love the 80 too - but to be honest (cover your ears) mine has been no better or worse than the Landrover Defenders/Series trucks I've owned. In 5 years its needed about the same ongoing maintenance, and the parts are more expensive and/or impossible to source at a reasonable price (new top tail gate for example).

For me my Discovery needed constant fettling, even before entering into competitions. It always leaked something from somewhere, the transmission brake on the other hand was brilliant!

Spares availability, it must be said LR are very well catered for.

Regards

Dave

To keep things in perspective the design is now about 33 years old, I think the shortcomings mentioned so far are acceptable.

I have gone through many cars over the years, and the 80 is the longest owned thus far.

Regards

Dave
Over the years I have owned many cars, 35 so far (inc 5 4x4's, no green oval though) I bought my current 80 in 2004, 14yrs so far.
The longest I had any other car was 3yrs.
It seems there are a lot of 80 owners who have had their 80's for a long time, there must be something about 80's that encourage long ownerships. :romance-heartbeati:
The only problems I've had with them has been the handbrake and front wheel bearings, mind you that could have been because I used to use wheel spacers, since ditching them I've had no problems with the bearings.
One of my other cars was a Supra owned for 3yrs and the only fault I had with that was the same fault that arose with my 80 in it's first 3yrs in my ownership, a rear light bulb blew, must have been a design fault. :confusion-confused:

I've owned mine for 20 years !! but the most reliable car I've owned was a 5 cylinder Audi coupe 2.2E. 245,000 miles and almost no repairs. Still had original exhaust and clutch.

Well, we’re having a moan because it was invited...

I had to think long and hard as to what to complain about especially as mine is 23 yrs old with 415 k km behind it.

And rust? I remember the days when BL cars would rust right through a panel in the warranty period, and you only got a year in those days. (Happened to my mate’s Dad’s new Triumph Toledo :crazy:).

I’ve had a bit on my 80 but nothing alarming, pretty good for an old one IMO.

Most rust is due to lazy owners IMO, a proper wash after it gets dirty keeps the damp away, there should be no build up of dirt (over the rear arch seam for example) and it should have underwash jetting regularly through the winter.

Last edited:
Hmm, I wonder what 80's say to each other about their owners! :think:
Mines not speaking to me at the moment, shes had very little attention since the new arrival.

Mine probably says.......'I wonder if my owners arse is as rusty as mine?'
Regards

Dave
I hope we never find out dave..:icon-biggrin:
Well, we’re having a moan because it was invited...

I had to think long and hard as to what to complain about especially as mine is 23 yrs old with 415 k km behind it.

And rust? I remember the days when BL cars would rust right through a panel in the warranty period, and you only got a year in those days. (Happened to my mate’s Dad’s new Triumph Toledo :crazy:).

I’ve had a bit on my 80 but nothing alarming, pretty good for an old one IMO.

Most rust is due to lazy owners IMO, a proper was after it gets dirty keeps the damp away, there should be no build up of dirt (over the rear arch seam for example) and it should have underwash jetting regularly through the winter.

yes, its my fault we are having a moan.
i agree clive, a lot of issues can be put down to bad/lack of maintenance from previous owners and previous owners mechanics.
buying my 80 with 89000 on the clock i didnt really have this issue.
the unimog is an other story entirely..

I was round my friends yesterday, he’s had his H reg 80 since it was 5 years old. I’ve never had a chance to look in it but I thought he said it was unitidy. I had a look yesterday, it’s covered in mud as he’s been shooting in it but the inside looks brilliant, the mileage is showing 120k but I think it said km, could be wrong I’d had a few glasses.

I bloody love it even though it’s white. Glad my 70 wasn’t there or I think I’d of cried.

Mines a non rusty 81, they do exist

But, drivers seat does not go back far enough, I'd prefer softer suspension like the early Rangies, 80 brakes are somewhat lacking too.

Back