Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The corona virus thread

JJ, don't your wife's company have security at the door to limit numbers anyway.
From what you say, seems not, shame on them, especially when they sell alcohol, and put stress on staff.
The poor dears that may come from broken homes and have nothing are lower than a snakes belly !
BTW, Have bat, will travel.
The poor dears that may come from broken homes and have nothing are lower than a snakes belly !
Now, now you'll get someones back up. No, theres no security it's the CO-OP, they, the staff, are expected to try to limit the numbers in the shop their selves, the only thing they do have is a panic button behind the till's, if you press that to many times the Police will soon get pissed off, just as with the scammers that are taking advantage of Covid, so are all the other scum with what ever the angle they used in normal times, it's harder for shop lifting thieves to ply their trade as there are less people in the shops so it's more obvious what they are up to, I.E, staff to customer ratio has dropped dramatically during Covid, so they have to be more inventive, oh, turns out they did pay attention at school, reform that is.

Absolute disgrace that some will take advantage wherever they can, for illegal activities, and to use something as serious as the virus, defies belief, and shocking that your wife, or any shop workers that are essential to us in these times, should have to face, at any time.
Someone's back up, you mean poor little shoplifters ?
My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek you know. There is just not the big money about now, to afford me ! Haha.

The UK is the most densely populated country in Europe.

If you ignore the Netherlands, Belguim and Malta.

England, as opposed to the UK, is significantly more densely populated than anywhere else in Europe.

If you ignore the Netherlands. And if you are just picking regions you definitely want to ignore Monaco.

But I don't think we can assign too much significance to national population densities. Proportion of population in urban areas probably more of a factor. It doesn't matter if you have a huge political land mass if most of your population live on the same street as you. In Europe we come in behind the Netherlands, Belguim, Malta, Luxembourg, Denmark, Sweden and Finland. And behind New Zealand which is sobering.

Spain announced confinement on the 13th of march & closed it's borders on the 17th but was still allowing transit for repatriation IIRC for some time after.I thought you were in favour of greater restrictions ?

Yes the Spanish border closed, although it was Morocco who closed the border with Spain, not the other way round. Then a deal was struck to allow EU nationals to exit via Ceuta. Spain decided to close that without prior warning about the 22nd March, leaving around a 1000 EU vehicles stranded at the border with no where to go. The owners had been advised by their respective embassies that the arrangement would allow them to get home, hence the large number of people stuck.

To deal with the aftermath of Spain's closure of the border, the Moroccan authorities set up a temporary camping facility, provided free of charge to those stuck, with water, toilets, showers and even a couple of small shops for groceries. To resolve the situation France allowed ferries to run to get the trapped EU citizens back home. Since then further evac ferries have been arranged to France and Italy, 2 more are running next week.

Spain continues to refuse permission for EU nationals to return to Europe via Spain, even after Italy and France has allowed this to work. The ferries still run between Morocco and Spain and Ceuta/Mellila and Spain but without passengers, the Spanish ferry companies are also not refunding tickets or offering vouchers to those who purchased them, as I said this is causing some resentment from those still stuck in Morocco.

I never said I was in favour of more controls, but I am in favour of appropriate controls to limit the spread of the virus.

Last edited:
"I refuse to be beaten" she said. I responded with, "Then Pat, you'll die alone, in pain, inside a polythene tent surrounded by people in masks." OK Harsh, but it shut her up.
You've got to be crule to be kind.

I got a comment edited by admins on another 4x4 forum for being a bit too blunt to the guys who wanted to head off camping to avoid it all.... perhaps saying to them that one of their next major decisions would be a fire or a hole was too blunt for their sensitivities....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes the Spanish border closed, although it was Morocco who closed the border with Spain, not the other way round. Then a deal was struck to allow EU nationals to exit via Ceuta. Spain decided to close that without prior warning about the 22nd March, leaving around a 1000 EU vehicles stranded at the border with no where to go. The owners had been advised by their respective embassies that the arrangement would allow them to get home, hence the large number of people stuck.

To deal with the aftermath of Spain's closure of the border, the Moroccan authorities set up a temporary camping facility, provided free of charge to those stuck, with water, toilets, showers and even a couple of small shops for groceries. To resolve the situation France allowed ferries to run to get the trapped EU citizens back home. Since then further evac ferries have been arranged to France and Italy, 2 more are running next week.

Spain continues to refuse permission for EU nationals to return to Europe via Spain, even after Italy and France has allowed this to work. The ferries still run between Morocco and Spain and Ceuta/Mellila and Spain but without passengers, the Spanish ferry companies are also not refunding tickets or offering vouchers to those who purchased them, as I said this is causing some resentment from those still stuck in Morocco.

I never said I was in favour of more controls, but I am in favour of appropriate controls to limit the spread of the virus.
:text-goodpost:Well said:clap:

Have bat, will travel.
Has Tractionman just outed himself as the UKs patient zero?
Is he referring to those infamous communist , 5G equipped Chinese bats?
Can he confirm or deny that it was smuggled in with a consignment of knockoff Landcruiser parts directly from Whuan ?
we demand answers :)

I am in favour of appropriate controls to limit the spread of the virus.
So it looks like Spain has decided that keeping the border closed is the appropriate action , I don't know why you seem to have some sort of bone to pick with Spain but you're quite happy to support the right of Morocco to jail folks in what you've correctly acknowledged as appalling conditions but now that you're inconvenienced you question the right of a sovereign nation to control their borders.
The ferries not returning monies or rearranging bookings is par for the course with any type of prebooked travel in my experience , the small print giving them a broad range of excuses.Spanish citizens have experienced the same with airlines .

Last edited:
arrests don't mean prison in every case, most are dealt with by fines. Legally ferries, airlines etc have to refund the money if they cancel on customers.

I'm not inconvenienced, I decided to stay here. Somewhere significantly safer than Spain, France or the UK for the virus.

I see someones spinning and twisting words again, to their own ends. It would be a shame to see this thread 'locked'. As we have all been warned once. Or maybe thats their aim.

I thought this thread was about 'The Corona Virus' perhaps 'someone' could start a new thread, maybe something a long the lines of 'Politics of The Corona Virus' then 'all' the 'someones' could voice their opions without further infecting this thread.

Just a thought like,

:clap::clap::clap:Clap along if you feel like that's what you wanna do:clap::clap::clap: be happy, be postive, no negative. :thumbup:

There are not many things in life that are free, but ambition is one of them. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ignore the Netherlands, Belguim and Malta.

If you ignore the Netherlands. And if you are just picking regions you definitely want to ignore Monaco.

But I don't think we can assign too much significance to national population densities. Proportion of population in urban areas probably more of a factor. It doesn't matter if you have a huge political land mass if most of your population live on the same street as you. In Europe we come in behind the Netherlands, Belguim, Malta, Luxembourg, Denmark, Sweden and Finland. And behind New Zealand which is sobering.

It was some relatively old figures taken from the Telegraph which gave the density of England as 395 and the Netherlands as 393. Apparently it came from the ONS but a check on Wikipedia backs up Rob's figures so I'm happy to admit the error.

I can see where you are coming from about the proportion of population in urban areas but if you can keep the urban area isolated by having a big 'fire break' between it and the next centre of population, then that might be easier than having sporadic population everywhere. The comparison of Scotland and New Zealand is quite interesting as they have a similar sized population and a similar number of people living in their biggest city. Obviously the cases of Covid 19 are significantly different.

Some of it must also down to luck. The Outer Hebrides south of Harris has (when I last looked) no cases. This could be down the their isolation but also it was just fortunate that in the couple of weeks between the virus taking hold and the lock down occurring, they didn't import the virus.

It was some relatively old figures taken from the Telegraph which gave the density of England as 395 and the Netherlands as 393. Apparently it came from the ONS but a check on Wikipedia backs up Rob's figures so I'm happy to admit the error.

I can see where you are coming from about the proportion of population in urban areas but if you can keep the urban area isolated by having a big 'fire break' between it and the next centre of population, then that might be easier than having sporadic population everywhere. The comparison of Scotland and New Zealand is quite interesting as they have a similar sized population and a similar number of people living in their biggest city. Obviously the cases of Covid 19 are significantly different.

Some of it must also down to luck. The Outer Hebrides south of Harris has (when I last looked) no cases. This could be down the their isolation but also it was just fortunate that in the couple of weeks between the virus taking hold and the lock down occurring, they didn't import the virus.
:text-goodpost:Bravo :clap:

Has Tractionman just outed himself as the UKs patient zero?
Is he referring to those infamous communist , 5G equipped Chinese bats?
Can he confirm or deny that it was smuggled in with a consignment of knockoff Landcruiser parts directly from Whuan ?
we demand answers :)
Yer, but you wont get 'em.

Nanny just seen her granddaughter for the first time in 2 months . At 5 years old she solemnly explained from across the garden that she is not allowed to touch anyone any more , she's not going back to school because she has no friends , and could nanny please buy her a dolly to play with .

Don't worry pavement to front door is 3 metres , such wonderful times .

Nanny just seen her granddaughter for the first time in 2 months . At 5 years old she solemnly explained from across the garden that she is not allowed to touch anyone any more , she's not going back to school because she has no friends , and could nanny please buy her a dolly to play with .

Don't worry pavement to front door is 3 metres , such wonderful times .
Bless 'em both.

Well I'm furious. :angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming:

Who should rock up this afternoon? My son and his girlfriend. The live in Manchester and as it was nice, decided to go for a walk in the Peak district then drop in to see us. He's been working until very recently and she is still in full time employment. Maybe they've missed the news?

Now I am pretty sure they've not been spreading the plague hither and thither, but I am frankly astounded that two young degree educated adults would behave like this. I have scolded them extensively and I honestly don't think I have reached them. I rather fear that this may in fact be indicative of this generation. Not in a flagrant disregard and a desire to flout the law' but more a 'Ehh? What? Uhm? Who me?' kind of way.

I don't really know what to say. Other than to say not all of the people ignoring the 'rules' are scumbags and criminals, just a bit dopey.

I have to say I agree with that last statement Chris. I think a lot of it is that offspring, however old, seem to think parents above all , know little, and make everything into a drama. Im sure I was like that with my parents . My adult son and daughter would have politely been told to do one, maybe , and I say maybe, they woul put more thought into the subject.
BTW, I am expecting the usual bank holiday deluge, down here on the beach, packed like sardines.

I have two young nephews who seem to think quite differently. The younger one is very conscious of the virus threat and the need for lockdown, social distancing, stringent hygiene requirements etc, and he's complying really well. The older seems to think differently with trips out to the Peak District and the Pennines (in the car) for mountain biking with his mates and long local "walks" when he meets up with his girlfriend for a, erm.......nature lesson. I was out for a local walk last night just before dusk and passed several groups of youths, all displaying normal 'full contact' behaviour. I think their perception of the threat may be that if they 'know' non of their mates have the virus, ie, they're symptom free and they stick in their own groups then they're not at risk or a risk to others.

Back