Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The Death of Diesel (and petrol?)

Sounds a good plan to me. I have Pedders suspension on my '94 cruiser and am very happy with it. The other mod you might like to consider is a second fuel tank. It is so much better than messing about carrying extra fuel in cans. I have gravity auxiliary tanks on both my cars and am very pleased with them.

Here is a link talking about a tank I fitted recently:

/https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/simple-and-effective-auxiliary-fuel-tank.146770/

The tank is working well and my range is over now over 800 miles :)

That looks pretty good Byron. I've often wondered if I can get the pressure vessel manufacturers on our estate to knock up a slightly larger tank for mine, as extended range can be everything on a long journey I guess :) . Our next trip up to Scotland is around 1,708 miles and I 'estimate' it will mean filling the tank just under 4 times (3.75ish). I'll carry one of the old fashioned 20 litre tanks for that, just in case we luck out with a filling station but being Blighty, I'm hoping we wont have any problems. Do you think a lot of this stuff has anything to do with growing up with Mad Max movies???

What sort of harmful emissions do bio diesel, veg oil and the like produce? A diesel engine can run on a variety of fuels.

Hydrocarbons, Particulates and Nitrogen Oxides

How about alcohol whats left after it is burnt ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ethanol is like petrol-light for emissions. Loads of alcohol cars in Brazil.

Well there you go then , if they actually cared about the planet Henry Ford himself was using alcohol in the model T i believe and the whole emissions thing is commercially driven to force spending .

Bio diesel isn't any better than fossil diesel for particulates but they do smell much nicer.
Ethanol is quite a bit lower in emissions that even the cleanest unleaded petroleum but it is very hydroscopic which can cause all sorts of problems when used to any degree in IC engines (especially the fuel system) not designed to run it.
Personally I'm not that bothered about this whole diesel furore.

Well, we all know what will happen now, diesel car owners will be seen as a easy target to make a quick buck under the banner of "saving the planet" its already started with charging more for diesels to park!?

Diesels overnight have become big scary monsters, owners will be spat on in the street and talked about in hushed voices.

If your really bothered about the planet, and not just sounding all righteous at a lower middleclass dinner party. Just dont have children, it really is the most eco thing you can do..

Bio diesel isn't any better than fossil diesel for particulates but they do smell much nicer.
Ethanol is quite a bit lower in emissions that even the cleanest unleaded petroleum but it is very hydroscopic which can cause all sorts of problems when used to any degree in IC engines (especially the fuel system) not designed to run it.
Personally I'm not that bothered about this whole diesel furore.
Living in the country and preferring to pop my eyeballs out with tea spoons than drive through a city, me neither tp.

If your really bothered about the planet, and not just sounding all righteous at a lower middleclass dinner party. Just dont have children, it really is the most eco thing you can do..

+1. The root cause of most of the Worlds problems today is overpopulation and the fact that we can't get on with one another.

Well, we all know what will happen now, diesel car owners will be seen as a easy target to make a quick buck under the banner of "saving the planet" its already started with charging more for diesels to park!?

Diesels overnight have become big scary monsters, owners will be spat on in the street and talked about in hushed voices.

Child share....

Ignoring the climate change issues the health effects of air pollution are well known and studied

The Great Smog of London in 52 killed 4000 people in a few weeks

+1. The root cause of most of the Worlds problems today is overpopulation and the fact that we can't get on with one another.
"They" talk of sustainability, when the word should be inevitability....

The main killer in the the smogs we used to get years ago was sulphur dioxide from large scale coal burning, many times more noxious than diesel/petrol fumes IMO.

I remember them too, thick smogs that were yellowish and smelly, the lack of vision and the deadened sounds were quite disorientating and a bit eerie at times if out walking. London was quite a grimy place in those days, much poverty with plenty of run down areas (many now highly sought after) and ships in the busy docks rather than bankers. Diesel Routemasters took over on a lot of the trolleybus routes, a shame to see them go.

I remember them too. I used to go out with a girl from SE London I was at her house once when her dad came home from work in the smog followed through the local residential streets by a double decker bus who was lost. I remember also the things that looked like giant oil cans with burning rags in the spout to help disperse the fog at road junctions.

Back