Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The EU have a a new speeding law

Your link won't work for me Chas so i will post another . Interesting that everybody BUT the bbc is running the story http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...s-continent-face-640-speeding-fines-saturday/

Tit for tat cut the data link leaving the EU with only outdated info allowing drivers to claim they sold the car before the speeding offense took place and the prohibitive cost of further investigation slaps the intended insult down with a smirk .

Your link won't work for me Chas so i will post another . Interesting that everybody BUT the bbc is running the story http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...s-continent-face-640-speeding-fines-saturday/

Tit for tat cut the data link leaving the EU with only outdated info allowing drivers to claim they sold the car before the speeding offense took place and the prohibitive cost of further investigation slaps the intended insult down with a smirk .
Link should work now

it does go both ways, however cos the Brit police are daft, they have to prove who is driving. Europe Police can send the registered owner of the car the fine - My Mrs got flashed by a camera, we are both on the registration, but cos I am a bloke, It comes to me .........We then had to prove it wasnt me driving, but didnt use registered post so they didnt get it.........but I did :( 90€ and a point of my license

Typical "dishonest/slanted" reporting. EU drivers face exactly the same fines abroad.

OK, so let me get this straight:

If you're caught speeding in one of the EU countries in the scheme, rhe owner of the vehicle may get a fine of up to £640.

This will include UK vehicle owners, amongst many other EU vehicle owners.

However the UK cannot reciprocate this, as UK law needs to identify the driver, not the owner.

Right, yep they're definitely out to get us!:crazy:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well, I do think there is possibly a game to had here, check your V5 doc, your vehicle is not "owned" by you, you are just the "registered keeper" so theoretically should you receive a fine it may be possible to forward it on to the DVLA so they can identify the owner.

:p

OK, so let me get this straight:
However the UK cannot reciprocate this, as UK law needs to identify the driver, not the owner.

Right, yep they're definitely out to get us!:crazy:

No. There's a law which is being applied across the EU, and the UK is one of the few exceptions because it does things differently. That's not the EUs fault, and they aren't out to get us.

As another example of exceptions, there are no points on licence here in Switzerland so I get a fine in France but no points (though of course it would if I were still a UK resident).

Well, I do think there is possibly a game to had here, check your V5 doc, your vehicle is not "owned" by you, you are just the "registered keeper" so theoretically should you receive a fine it may be possible to forward it on to the DVLA so they can identify the owner.

:p

Unfortunately, for the purposes of traffic law, the name on the log book is regarded as the owner and unless the 'owner' stipulates who was driving, he pays the penalty.

Reactions: Pat
Typical "dishonest/slanted" reporting. EU drivers face exactly the same fines abroad.
And have done for sometime, the UK opted out of that recipricol agreement, all thats happened is the end of that opt out so now we're in line with the rest of Europe.

That fit's home or abroad Grant , i don't like speed limits but tend to abide by them what i like even less is speed limits that absolutely everyone ignores , i tend to go with the flow then trusting i am sharing the road with locals who know something i don't .

What i find interesting is uk refuses to convict without evidence for fear of prosecuting the innocent , I'm sure Froggy Steve agrees its a shame the EU are unconcerned about such things .

That fit's home or abroad Grant , i don't like speed limits but tend to abide by them what i like even less is speed limits that absolutely everyone ignores , i tend to go with the flow then trusting i am sharing the road with locals who know something i don't .

This is one of the things that really, really annoys me; we have a 70mph limit on motorways, it's well publicised and well known. However, how many can say hand on heart that they abide by it?
"Going with the flow" usually means 70mph+ in the middle and fast lanes on most motorways outside peak hours. It has got to a point where you can quite happily be going with the flow and overtake a traffic police car on a (quiet) motorway at, say 80mph*, and they won't even bat an eyelid. (* I accept that that this threshold speed maybe vary - but my point is that you and everyone else in that "flow" are still openly and flagrantly breaking the law). So in effect, 70mph has become a soft limit - talk about mixed messages! Personally, I'd rather that they raise the motorway limit to 80mph and STRICTLY enforce it. (Most of continental Europe has a 130kph limit for their motorways and that seems to work OK).

What i find interesting is uk refuses to convict without evidence for fear of prosecuting the innocent , I'm sure Froggy Steve agrees its a shame the EU are unconcerned about such things .

Whilst not ideal, I'm actually fine with the "owner" getting done for speeding offences. Part of the point, if not the whole point, of issuing speeding tickets is to change people's behaviour and attitude towards speeding. The "owner" of the vehicle, whether that is a private individual or a business etc. should be in a position to be able to influence the behaviour and attitude of the driver. If you were issued a ticket for your spouse/child - I'm sure you'd make them aware of your displeasure (Make sure you don't get caught again! ;) ) . Similarly situation for fleet owners and their drivers.

The Autostrada (motorway) here is 130 kph, yet the road isn't designed for it, and it can be very dangerous.

Lanes are narrower, slip road entrances and exits are distinctly shorter and narrower, and deceleration and acceleration lanes for service areas barely exist.

Folks pulling out of service areas into 130 kph traffic is lethal, and often it's faster because drivers the world over exceed the limit, whatever it may be.

Hard shoulders are narrower too, so a car parked up may be ok, but a broken down truck is hanging over the slow lane.

Theres no cats-eyes or road mounted reflectors, and the white lines are just reflective paint, no retro-reflective ballotini beads in thermoplastic, like the U.K. has.

Take care here guys...

The Autostrada (motorway) here is 130 kph, yet the road isn't designed for it, and it can be very dangerous.

Lanes are narrower, slip road entrances and exits are distinctly shorter and narrower, and deceleration and acceleration lanes for service areas barely exist.

Folks pulling out of service areas into 130 kph traffic is lethal, and often it's faster because drivers the world over exceed the limit, whatever it may be.

Hard shoulders are narrower too, so a car parked up may be ok, but a broken down truck is hanging over the slow lane.

Theres no cats-eyes or road mounted reflectors, and the white lines are just reflective paint, no retro-reflective ballotini beads in thermoplastic, like the U.K. has.

Take care here guys...
Not dissimilar the the autobahn, even where they are often unrestricted. Speeds that are legal that would get you jailtime in the UK. The UK approach to speeding is a joke, which is why when speed really does matter, people still don't take any notice. Speed limits are there for safety, and there is nothing unsafe about doing 80mph on the motorway when traffic conditions allow. If you pointlessly enforce speed limits just because 'it's the law' then you devalue the reason for having limits. The law should be applied sensibly.

Take care here guys...

One of the most attractive things about Romania is that its not a nanny state and the only driving danger i have noticed is the odd suicidily impatient moron but you get them everywhere . As Moggy says self serving bureaucracy here has made the safety elf a laughing stock , i wonder how many civil servants got paid for this
ady-kerry-060912-road-signage-clutter-385x255.jpg

When something like this tells us all we need to know
2790465370_aa929f74e4_b.jpg

Brilliant Shayne brilliant. In the first picture I counted 16 bits of info when all you really need is 2. And if you don't know where you're going don't get in the car.

This is one of the things that really, really annoys me; we have a 70mph limit on motorways, it's well publicised and well known. However, how many can say hand on heart that they abide by it?
"Going with the flow" usually means 70mph+ in the middle and fast lanes on most motorways outside peak hours. It has got to a point where you can quite happily be going with the flow and overtake a traffic police car on a (quiet) motorway at, say 80mph*, and they won't even bat an eyelid. (* I accept that that this threshold speed maybe vary - but my point is that you and everyone else in that "flow" are still openly and flagrantly breaking the law). So in effect, 70mph has become a soft limit - talk about mixed messages! Personally, I'd rather that they raise the motorway limit to 80mph and STRICTLY enforce it. (Most of continental Europe has a 130kph limit for their motorways and that seems to work OK).

I confess I've done this heaps of times on UK motorways. I've overtaken lots of police cars when sitting on 80-85mph which is what I always sit on if traffic and conditions permit and non of them have ever pulled me over. :shifty:

I used to work with a Welsh carpenter years ago whos son was really high up in the Welsh police force, he told me that the UK police wont generally pull you over on a motorway unless you go over 90mph. The exception to this is if your driving a complete shit box that doesnt look like it should even be on the road.

Most police know that most modern cars and in particular all the German high end cars are perfectly safe sitting on 80-90mph. :think:

Living here in Australia and in particular Queensland I really miss UK motorways!

Here people just dont understand how they are meant to work, its obviously not taught in driving lessons as even new drivers are oblivious to how they are meant to work.

Here its a case of pick a lane, any lane and do what ever speed you want!

Under taking is common and the police do nothing, at times its the only way to get around the tosser doing 15-20kmh below the speed limit in the fast lane, but I try and avoid doing it.

Trucks can drive in any lane and often hog the fast lane driving slowly.

Merging is my biggest annoyance as people just dont seem to realise that they should be getting up to speed on the slip lane to match the speed of the vehicles on the motorway, so often they are merging at 50-60kmh with vehicles on the motorway doing 100-110kmh, which then slows the entire motorway down as people have to brake.

There is no lane discipline! If the motorway is deserted at 4am, there will be dick heads sitting in the middle and fast lanes, with no other vehicles around for kilometers!

There is no courtesy from a lot of drivers, no body flashes to acknowledge some one and let them in and sometimes I indicate for 10-15 seconds before moving into a gap and then they still start flashing the lights/beeping the horn and carrying on.

Another big annoyance is the low speed limits! They build brand new motorways/toll roads, 4-5 lanes wide, nice big central reservations, nice big long slip lanes, plenty of signs, beautifully smooth concrete/bitumen and then set the limit at 100kmh (60mph) :angry-screaming:

Sometimes when I'm driving on the motorways here, trying not to get too annoyed at the disgusting standard of driving all around me I dream of German motorways and how dam efficient and skilled the drivers are over there! :|

Back