Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The last 4 Off Roaders.

Oh forgot to say........................................

Yeah I'm excited! very bloody excited!!!!

Good weather here I come! :dance:

What about the Suzuki Jimmy? Not quite in the same league as the others but still a proper off roader isn't it?

I also made a similar observation when Patrol lost it's SFA, there really aren't too many left. I am very surprised that Toyota have not fitted the 3 litre 1KD-FTV engine and keep the heavy duty axles/chassis but with rear coils springs and full time 4WD (like the 80) and sell it in Europe? Would walk all over the defender IMO. If I had the money I certainly would buy one, especially if they have 3 diff locks and use it as my daily drive/off roader/overlander. Only 3 SFA vehicles on sale in the UK now the Wrangler, Jimmy and Defender so not a great deal of choice. We really need some more variety/choice/competition as there is very little motivation for LR to improve the defender.

Last edited:
Good point Rob, I totally forgot about the Jimny, crazy seen as I used to regularly lane with 1 and some times 2 Jimny's.

I guess Andrew didnt conside them a true off roader?

Shame as I can testify a tricked up jimny will go almost anywhere a tricked up cruiser will go! They may be small but dont underestimate those tiny 4x4's, there awesome! :icon-biggrin:

Exactly my point, but if LR do go down that route I hope that other manufactures realise that there is a gap in the market for a proper off roader. Mr. T hint hint... The Wrangler's problem is reliability, Chrysler/Jeep reliability is almost as bad as the LR horror stories I have heard of (parents had 2 Voyagers and yes they had issues so know first hand how bad they are).

I think the issue with the Jimmy is that it's too small for most people's needs. Fine as a toy but that is all you could use if for.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Im wanting them to go the same way as yours is going mate. Im intouch with a chap over there and im v interested in getting stuff moving.

Controll was very hard.The smashed the computer intemper and my lip is bleeping from how hard i had to bite it lol

70's are great, but they are a heavy duty truck on cart springs

There are more comfortable trucks! But probably few as indestructible?

Im wanting them to go the same way as yours is going mate. Im intouch with a chap over there and im v interested in getting stuff moving.

Controll was very hard.The smashed the computer intemper and my lip is bleeping from how hard i had to bite it lol

:lol:

Regarding shipping containers I used John Mason, as theyve got a pretty good reputation.

I got 3 or 4 quotes and then started playing one off against the other as they do a price match/beat thing. Doing this I was able to get John Mason down from £3000 to £1800! :icon-biggrin:

Never accept the first quote you get from a company, they will always come down. :icon-wink:

But in hindsight I wish id tried to book the container directly with the shipping company as opposed to using a company like John Mason. Probably would have been cheaper. :think:

http://www.maersk.com/

they still make the y61 patrol ?

Yes but its IFS (independent front suspension), and without a live/solid front axle it cant qualify as a true off roader. :icon-biggrin:

Interesting comment on an aussie patrol forum:

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/ex-mining-4wds-32004/index2.html

g'day ,
i work in an underground mine and let me tell you if you buy one your an idiot ,
thay get flogged to the hilt ,
they get locked in low range and thrashed , red lining most of the time .
the acid eats the alloy quick as , we get about 5-8000 underground ks to a gearbox before the alloy housing has been coroded through ,
the dirt gets in the chassis rails and it corrodes from the inside out , they get hit against the wall 9and they have no give at all ), and bend the chassis and you wont notice till your trying to get a wheel alignment,

mind you we are using landcruisers , aparently the patrol dont last too long in mining , alot of them where snaping the chassis just behind the cabs

we do use those rust prevention systems , great when there new , but crap in a couple of months when the vehicles been nocked around and the tab falls off or the wire corodes

anyway thats my 2 cents,

good luck

cheers , chicken

Merc G is the Gelandewagen he was talking about. Its what the G stands for.

Back