Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The Magic Lantern

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
When I was growing up, the couple who lived and owned the adjoining property to ours, a large traditional nursery of about 20 acres, were for me as a child, an ancient and elderly couple. The truth be known, they were then only in their late 50's.

They lived in a large ramshackle and sprawling single story farm-style home with 4 Dachshunds, 4 German Shepherds, Ducks, Peacocks, Guinea fowl and 2 pigs…a strange collection; but we assumed owning to them having emigrated from Europe after the war, it was not uncommon for them.

My abiding memory of the man, Mr Von Vaerst, (we called them the Van-Vests) was of this huge, bearded and enormously strong man (he could lift 45gallon drums of diesel easily into/out of a truck) who rode horses a lot and of his wife, a petite and very lovely lady who had very long blonde hair alway in a platt that reached to the floor and was always baking and cooking. As children do, we made up all sorts of stories about who they really were and where they had come from. In reality, he was a German ex-cavalry officer and she was a Polish ex-nurse.

They didn’t use electricity in their home, or at least not like we did, but instead they used paraffin lamps everywhere. I often had to deliver paraffin to Mrs V-V on my Mothers instruction, when her husband was away on his travels in the bush. Many times I would see them lighting these lamps and was fascinated how they worked.

I was about 10 yrs old when Mr Van Vaerst’s body came home in a hearse. We were still quite young and we made up all sorts of stories of what actually happened. I learned later, that he had been gored by a buffalo that he wounded whilst hunting with some overseas friends; his first shot wounded the bull and he turned for his no2 rifle, but alas his gun bearer had fled when he saw the charging animal.

Mrs Van Vaesrt refused to leave the nursery with its 50 staff and singlehandedly ran the business. Many times during school hols, I helped out with chores, my favourite of which was lighting these lamps, which she kept burning till late at night. She lived on at the nursery for the remainder of her life, which sadly was to end rather tragically.

I grew up and moved and as one does, only occasionally thought of the about the V-V’s. I always remembered the wonderful lamps they used but never could recall what they were called or what make they were. My folks always had English Tilley lamps, so indeed have I, but I always hankered after one of the V-V’s lamps. They were special.

Well a few months ago whilst travelling in Namibia, I found what was the very same type of lamp from my childhood!

It was the Van Vaersts lamp !! I bought it immediately and it has taken me a while to find the parts and hours of cleaning and polishing to restore it to presentable order. It is made of thick nickel-plated brass and similar to the 1940’s Tilley “pork pie” in quality and feel, albeit prettier.

The lamp is a genuine 1960 PETROMAX made in Germany. Now you can still buy a modern version of this lamp, however they are made in China with a Petromax stamp and like most modern incarnations, are made of lighter poorer quality materials and to a budget.

Its a beautiful work of art and I will now be using it as my main camping lantern, with the Tilley as the spare.

And what of Mrs Van Vaerst, I hear you ask…well she lived to 83, and tragically on 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] August 2002 she was hacked to death in her home, by one of her workers in the Nursery…He had been in her employ for 23 years!! She was found with an axe buried in her skull. The assailant stole a few family items and her old Peugeot 404 pickup. He was caught driving it and later incarcerated. My sister who still lives in Zim, went to her funeral… she was one of only 2 attendees… How very, very sad!!

Her name was Olga…. I shall name my lamp Olga in her memory.

See the Video below

http://vimeo.com/user3339704/review/86132172/df3346e315

Lazz

interesting story and looks like a very nice lamp indeed :icon-cool:

A touching and tragic story. And a painfully common one too, such a pity the British weren't allowed to support their own in the colonies due to the political pressure of the USA.

People today find it very hard to understand why my grandmother who ran away from home to join the WAF during WW2 (it wasn't the 'done thing') can't abide Americans when they 'saved the world'. Yes they helped, but the Russians won the war (you only have to travel to any part of the USSR to see all the memorials, even in the tiny villages, still surrounded by flowers and maintained to this day to realise that).
The bloody Americans then used it as an excuse to use a whole continent as a CIA playground 'fighting' communism.

Thats a very touching storey and a wonderful lamp you have there.

I hope the lamp AKA Olga lights the night and guides your way for many year to come.

....And God bless poor Olga, that is a tragic story....

The lamp is a gem and looks a sturdy piece of kit too. Any problems getting the mantles? It's well protected anyway, so maybe you won't need to replace it too often.

Let Olga's name and your memory of her live on Lazz.

The lamp is a gem and looks a sturdy piece of kit too. Any problems getting the mantles?

Yes it is very sturdy, like most things built in the 50's/60's. when sourcing parts I was amazed at the number of people that collect these types of lamps. Managed to source all the parts from Germany including original mantles, lead washers, I even managed to get a spare nozzle for the Anderson preheater! ...This particular lamp was made in 1954 and as you can, see works perfectly. In fact the lamp is a little too bright and provides much brighter light than a Tilley lamp of the same era.

They do come up for sale on Ebay (now I know what to look for), but many of the ones for sale are cheap Chinese knock-offs and are rubbish.

Very satisfied and Olga will light the way in the bush for years to come.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back