Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The people have spoken

Yea because they have done an amazing job for the last 9 years haven’t they.

It would be nice if this thread just died quietly now but I guess it won't.

I don't see this as the best outcome; for me the best outcome wasn't on the table in any real sense. But that's democracy, allegedly.

One thing I would say, in particular to your good self Steve (I agree that the Tories have NOT done an amazing job; I'm with you there) is that having met you, I would probably be right in thinking that you're not actually old enough to have lived under a proper Labour Government. And I mean that with all respect naturally. Tony Blair's Labour Government wasn't call New Labour for nothing. It wasn't really Labour.

I do remember a proper Labour Government and let me tell you it was dreadful. Strikes, power cuts, rubbish piled in the streets, appalling manufacturing standards, rising inflation etc etc. I look at Corbyn and his ideas of returning to Old Labour and frankly I just shudder. They were dark days in our political history I can tell you. Would things have been better this time around? Fortunately it seems enough people had sufficiently long memories to make sure we didn't find out.

We've got what we've got so at least with a bit of luck we can talk about something different. And we will hopefully see less of Niel, Kuenssberg, Marr et al on our tellies. That has to be a good thing.

Freedom for Tooting :dance:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You forgot the inflation bit Chris. Perhaps you were in your pram not paying attention:). Terrible in 70's with 24.2 % in 1974. I bought a new LR in 1973 for £1980 and sold it three years later for £2800 with 80k miles on the clock. Never went wrong apart from one little bearing in the gearbox.

Sorry Frank, not sure what point you're trying to make. Selling something second hand for more than you paid for it new isn't inflation. That's making a profit. But I did mention inflation. And I certainly wasn't in a pram in the 70's. I had learned to walk and could tie my own laces. I was even allowed to light the candles when the power went off.

In some ways I think that the Tories winning a large majority is a good thing. They've been in power now for the last 10 years and will be for the next 5, so there's nowhere to hide now. They've won a large majority on the back of a "Get Brexit Done" pledge; so they're going to have to own it and its consequences - there's no one else to blame. I truly hope it succeeds, as we will all suffer the fallout, if it doesn't.

Labour have lost their way, moving further and further to the left, hoping to out-manoeuvre the Conservatives in the opposite direction . Hopefully Momentum and the Unions will switch their allegiance to a more centrist leader - though the former may be incapable of that shift and the latter may yet surprise by doubling down and choosing an even more left-wing leadership candidate (thinking 3rd time lucky!)

The Lib Dems are a busted flush and will need to rebuild - the injection of new blood via Change UK, has failed to provide any benefit and they've also lost their leader. However, I can see them improving their standing in the next few years, now that the binary choice of Brexit is effectively off the political agenda.

I'm a centrist by nature and am frustrated that there isn't a single party that I can get behind and say that they represent my (main) views. Though I voted tactically (albeit in vain), NOTA would have been the best option.

I hate Corbyn and most of his policies but I hate the Tories more. This election has been pick your poison and hope it does the least damage. The only good that will come for this is a new leader for Labour. With a majority like this and with the Tories redrawing constituency boundaries, I can't see a leadership change for a while.

You forgot the inflation bit Chris. Perhaps you were in your pram not paying attention:). Terrible in 70's with 24.2 % in 1974. I bought a new LR in 1973 for £1980 and sold it three years later for £2800 with 80k miles on the clock. Never went wrong apart from one little bearing in the gearbox.
I understand what your saying Frank, :thumbup:

The bad losers won't stop throwing thrie dummys out of their prams for at least five years:laughing-rolling:

Perhaps you could explain it then JJ. Not sure what this has to do with losing anything. Buying something and selling it on has nothing to do with inflation. Fact. I did mention rising inflation in my missive about the 70's under labour. Fact.

So .....what am I missing? Or are you saying that Frank was lucky to buy a LR that didn't fall apart. On that we agree.

Perhaps you could explain it then JJ. Not sure what this has to do with losing anything. Buying something and selling it on has nothing to do with inflation. Fact. I did mention rising inflation in my missive about the 70's under labour. Fact.

So .....what am I missing? Or are you saying that Frank was lucky to buy a LR that didn't fall apart. On that we agree.

Im guessing (rather tongue in cheek) that Frank’s sale with a ‘profit’ may have been at a real loss, what with inflation and the devaluation of the pound that labour caused in those days, least we forget.

I remember very well the 3-day weeks and trying to work between the power cuts, as well as (later) being stopped at the gate by the so-called union supporters supposedly legally offering violence in return for pushing your way into your workplace. Bad times, labour can never afford to go back to those days.

Last edited:
As a neural observer I find the SNP's gains to be very interesting.. Republic of Scotland anyone?

Sorry to see you go folks.. and Northern Ireland will be shafted because the DUP are no longer of any use...

At least it's a clear result... No more silly non-votes

Strikes, power cuts, rubbish piled in the streets, appalling manufacturing standards, rising inflation etc etc.
People were on strike to defend their standard of living , under attack from both Labour & Tory governments.The end of the Vietnam war , the US pulling outta of Bretton woods agreement & the OPEC crisis all caused a global downturn & IIRC it was Labour who did a deal with the IMF, on condition that austerity was imposed.
As for quality in industry decades of underinvestment & lack of imagination meant that those who had guaranteed markets at him & in the empire were completely unprepared for competition.
I'm not a Labour or Corbyn supporter but most of what's been said about him is absurd

Faaaaar be it from me to crit here sitersizing a Land Rover, last time I did that 'Chas' told me off and said I should be Banned and that I was a PITA, and I would be ignored, so no I'm not saying anything against Land Rovers, "once bitten twice shy"

So, just imagine what would happen if criticised the Labour Party after such a heavy defeat. :thumbdown::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:
:text-merryxmas::text-happynewyear:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's inflation related Chris. New LR's had gone up by 50-60% in those 3 years along with virtually everything else. Annual wage growth rate in 1974 was 29%. If those aren't inflation figures I don't know what are. I don't think you'd make a profit on selling a second hand car without inflation.

It's inflation related Chris. New LR's had gone up by 50-60% in those 3 years along with virtually everything else. Annual wage growth rate in 1974 was 29%. If those aren't inflation figures I don't know what are. I don't think you'd make a profit on selling a second hand car without inflation.
That's just what I was going to say, you beat me to it :smiley::smiley:

As a neural observer I find the SNP's gains to be very interesting.. Republic of Scotland anyone?

Sorry to see you go folks.. and Northern Ireland will be shafted because the DUP are no longer of any use...

At least it's a clear result... No more silly non-votes
I'm also a neutural observer, I think the next referendum should be weather or not the English should keep the Scots in the Union, after all 'fair is fair' in a modern democratic dictatorship. :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

Well with the SNP seats it's going to be very interesting, can't blame them if they do leave after all, everyone can agree it's a massive shit show.

Back