Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The perfect 80

warrenpfo

It was a simple plan sell the 100 and get a newer 100 :thumbup: .......why oh why did I then look at the 80 :doh:

So a simple question really what is the best 80 to purchase engine wise in the diesel range?

I would like a VX spec as I like some of the comforts that it comes with.

Its not final but the more I think about it the more I think an 80 makes sence.

I am frantically reading IH8MUD trying to learn as much as I :confusion-helpsign: can

:lol: you've only got 2 choices in the UK usually Warren, either a 12 valve auto between 1990 and about 1995, though there are some UK spec 12 valve manuals about as well, and the 24 valve manual from 1996 onwards. There are the odd import motors so a 24 valve auto is not impossible but more deserving of the 'rare' label than the manual ones the dealers seem to think are rare :roll:

Thanks Jon I would hope for a 24v auto but need to look into importing an already imported car when returning to SA. So it might have to be a manual.

I am also going to have to get it past the wife as she thinks getting an older car is not a great idea :whistle:

The question of which is the best diesel engine is just personal choice. I have a 24v, mainly because it came up at the right time, at the right price and in the right condition. Both versions are well built, reliable motors if looked after.

From a practical viewpoint each version has it's pro's & cons. The engine in the 24v 80 is basically the same as the 100 series minus the electronic injection and the intercooler. The 12v has easily accessible glowplugs compared to the 24v which has an intake heater system that has been known to give trouble. The 24v versions replaced the 12v so will be newer but condition is far more important than age. The 24v responds well to IP tweaks (some say the 12v has more lowdown pull but I never noticed having driven both) and will ultimately give more power if you want to take the tuning route. A 24v with a decent intercooler will easily match or even exceed the power of the early 100's but without the complexity of the ECU controlled injection. As has been said, all UK spec 24v diesel 80's are manual with auto on imports only which could be a deciding factor if you must have an auto. I like the manual box in mine. JMO

Good luck with the search!

I dont have to have an auto I have just got used to an auto but a manual in the bush has its advantages.

The manual is an easy forgiving drive, more work than an auto obviously but not hard work. Have you had an 80 before? 80's are much more agricultural than a 100 so you might want to have a test drive of one with your wife on board ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not had an 80 before but not scared of an agricultural drive. Will most certainly take a test drive or 2 prior to purchase.

to add a little bit . (my own personal opinions) ...i changed from a 78 to an 80 ...the 80 is so much easier to drive than the 78 ever was
yet the 80 feels as though it's double the size

mine is a 96 VX (mine is a petrol tho) also a uk car

Hi warren,

I am not sure going back to an older 80 is a great idea.
OK, the 80 isn't a mad vehicle, but I just dont see the sense?

Your choice of a newer 100 series, ie, a 2004 onwards, for me, if I put a 2004, 100 series, and a great 80 series side by side, and drove them both for a few hours, I am sure beyond doubt, I would want the 100.

A choice between a 1996 80 series adn a 2004 100 series,,,,,,,,,,,, figure.

My opinion, only, sorry 80 owners.

Gra.

Warren, i'm not that far from you & your welcome to a go in my 94 auto 80.

It's a choice between simplicity and mod cons really and simplicity won for me :)

Jon Wildsmith said:
It's a choice between simplicity and mod cons really and simplicity won for me :)

The same for me, the simpler the better in the long run in my opinion ;)

Back