Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The troublesome TC

24Seven

Is it a case of not if but when a pre June 2001 LC 100 will need a TC rebuild? Would this model of shown the signs and been repaired by 100-150K?

Sorry very vague question but I'm sure some of you guys have reading up about 100's for far longer than me.

Also if anyone has the time could I have the rough internal measurement between the back door and the back of the front seats please.

Matt, which version of the 100 series diesel or petrol? I believe they have different boxes
I did do a load of reading on it, I think there was a partial recall from Toyota on it, however I couldn't find if mine had been done or if I could get it done under the scheme, strangely Toyota where very evasive about it.
Anyway the upshot was that I had to have mine sorted, Theoretically if the issue is caught early enough you would only need to have the TC rebuilt , the issue is that the bits of broken washer get pumped around the 'box and make a bit of a mess as they go.
Now it would also appear as this does not effect all 100 series diesels it is pretty random
Which measurement do you want, from the edge of the door frame to the seat back with the seat all the way back?

The petrol & diesel do use different gearbox's but the torque converters were AFAIK built with the faulty parts for both of them. There are plenty of cases of this failure on ih8mud where they're almost exclusively petrol. It seems like a very common fault and I'm not sure what mileage would be considered safe to assume the TC had been replaced or was ok but maybe 150k would be safe, not so sure about the 100k end of the scale.

It will be Diesel

I'm looking for a 100, it seems I can find early ones for around 8K or if I follow the advise below from Nor at the other forum I will looking to pay 10-11K, but I don't want to save money by buying an early one only to have to spend loads fixing this problem which may make a later one better overall value (maybe) :mrgreen:

Nor said:
1 - Get the 4-pinion front diff. - stronger, for off-road use. That means production date from August 1999. Frame No from 8011850 for the HDJ100.
2 - Make sure it doesn't have the troublesome TC. That means prod from June 5 2001, or changed on an earlier model. VIN would be JTEHC05J904005603 or higher on models with factory-fitted new type converter.
3 - Rear diff lock would be good for your offroading (in addition to the standard CDL). Otherwise the atrac is a good replacement.  ARB has air operated lockers for both front and rear diffs for you.

I'm looking for the sleeping length, so in an ideal world it would be 1/2 way down the front seats to a closed back door with the front seats in a mid position, I don't want anyone to move their seats around so just a rough idea would be great.

and the last question I forgot to ask.

Are the middle row of seats split (can you fold just some of the seat) if so, is it 1/3 or 1/2

I have 1/2 a plan to take a couple of my boys with me next year on a trip (7 and 8yr) and I'm thinking of sleeping and travelling arrangements.

Thanks very much.

From the inside of the back door to the seat backs about midway on the runners is 2m ish

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think the 4 pinion carrier is better than the 2 pinion carrier. But I believe Jon broke ring gears with a 4 pinion carrier and changed it to an ARB diff. I guess he could confirm this

Yes mine was a 4 pinion carrier that I broke but I was abusing it. I don't think diesels got ATRAC till much later than the petrols so you probably don't have to worry about that and it seems like a rear locker was fitted to most UK diesel VX models? Fitting an ARB on the front of a 100 is easier than on a 90 IMO.

If you buy an older truck that isn't known to have had the TC changed then I would check it for symptoms and providing they weren't present budget to drop the box and change the TC rather than wait for the problem to occur. A truck already displaying symptoms would have to be very cheap IMO to allow for a box rebuild. Let me practice on Ray's old one first and then I might be able to offer box rebuilds as well as diffs ;)

I got my TC rebuilt recently via JulianV's place. There's a noticeable difference in take off and Julian's guys did a wonderful job at putting it back together. I now even have smoother movement of the shifter.

Back