Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

This diesel shortage then

Besides i think someone's put my new exhaust in the way...

Well pretty much normal up this way apart from tesco super unleaded is short supply. Put 100L of super in the 80 with no riot, not my usual full tank but good enough (definitely loving the long range tank)
Beemer now has just below 3/4 tank lol.

"Crisis" over in our neck of the woods, all fuels available, until the next time that is:lol:. I think we're going to have to get used to these media induced shortages. I just hope they don't report a problem with Preparation H deliveries in some far flung corner of the country and induce panic buying. I couldn't sit with that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hay ! maybe I won't be putting on so much weight over the winter this year :thumbup: .

(Can I live without Quality Street, or Cherry Liqueurs :think:).

Bob.

Accord had full tank but yesterday it stopped due to broken alternator. Left in garage with full tank fuel. Forced to take out LC for all short drops n pick ups. 10 mins each time idling to warm engine n 5 mins drive, in two days it’s down to 70% but Asda should have fuel so will wait until it goes down to 30%

Well, fuel seems to have finally made as far South as Watford. Managed to get some petrol and (surprisingly) LPG for the cruiser today. However most stations were still out of diesel.

Hopefully we will be back to normality in another few days. It does go so show how vulnerable our supply chains are though....I wonder what will be next on the rations list?

LPG for the cruiser
Interesting you can still get LPG there, it's kind of a dead fuel here. Used to be mega popular in the days of Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore taxis here so the 4WD petrol community latched onto it. However they are all gone now with taxis now hybrid Prius and Camry models and LPG is fast disappearing.

Last edited:
It's on the decline here in the UK too tbh - there are less and less stations stocking LPG every week. It wasn't that many to begin with - perhaps 10-15%, no more I reckon and half of those had usually run out most of the time anyway!

It is a dead fuel, especially the way EVs are taking off, there's no market for it.

I'm not too bothered but it's a shame as I've done 100k on LPG over the last 11 years or so and it's been a very reliable system (BRC) which works as well as it did when new. The 5VZ-FE engine is really suited to LPG conversion and doesn't need Flashlube or similar.

Why the idle time? I'd just put the PWR HEATER on and drive it. Obviously don't floor it to 100mph right out the gate, but...

+1. 30 secs or so to let the oil circulate, then drive. Diesel engines generate very little heat at idle compared to petrol engines.

Are block heaters a thing in the UK for this kind of thing (pre warming your engine)? I know they popular in the northern USA and Canada.

Karl I read that we should let oils run through the system before driving off. LC feels big so I am leaving it for more time so all lubricants reach all corners before driving, just to be safe n not to damage. Even if I am normally driving LC takes about 10 mins to reach operating temp and I don’t Rev it beyond 2000 until then

if 1 or 2 mins is actually enough, I will drive that way.

Hi Raj - yep I understand nobody wants a cold engine - but as long as the glow plug light is out when your start, and your oil pressure light is off before you move, I think you're OK. The engine will warm up quicker when you drive it, rather than leaving it idle, especially if you have the pwr heater on. You're careful with it anyway, you keep the revs down until its up to temp, so I dont think you'll do it any damage by driving it.

At the end of the day,these motors have to be practical and get us from A to B when we need it. If you have to wait 10 minutes at each end, you might as well have a steam engine!

Back