Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

This diesel shortage then

Just as important is to let the engine idle for a minute or so after a fast run (motorway etc.) to keep the oil feed to the turbo going.

What is this turbo thing you speak of ?

Just as important is to let the engine idle for a minute or so after a fast run (motorway etc.) to keep the oil feed to the turbo going
This also I am following religiously :). Rpm kind of settles down after a while, I then switch off engine. My passengers complain but I only listen to my car. These cars are definitely not for school runs n getting milk :)

Thanks to diesel shortage n my friend who took my car. Thanks to accord as well for breaking down. I am taking out LC every day n started liking its heart beat on quiet school roads. It has typical relaxed beat while slowly moving forward like a monks resting heart beat. In comparison petrol car feels like a kids/chicken heart beat without much gap between the thud sounds

Adventure Waggon said...."Are block heaters a thing in the UK for this kind of thing (pre warming your engine)? I know they popular in the northern USA and Canada."

Not so much now.... that said my 80 had one on it when I bought it S/H years ago.... it also can turn the heater fan on to clear the windscreen when it has warmed the coolant .... a brilliant thing that I've probably only used twice in the years I've owned the car .... so I can see why in the UK they are not much of a thing ;-)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Adventure Waggon said...."Are block heaters a thing in the UK for this kind of thing (pre warming your engine)? I know they popular in the northern USA and Canada."

Not so much now.... that said my 80 had one on it when I bought it S/H years ago.... it also can turn the heater fan on to clear the windscreen when it has warmed the coolant .... a brilliant thing that I've probably only used twice in the years I've owned the car .... so I can see why in the UK they are not much of a thing ;-)
We looked at an all electric Mercedes a couple of weeks back, although not a block heater it has a setting for pre journey climate control

Me and the Missus were talking about something Different, But on the same lines, It was the Alexa thingy that can open your curtains, Fill yer fridge up, Clean yer shoes etc etc... Come the Day when Armageddon is upon us and the Terminators have you pinned down , and the only escape is an old Land cruiser in the Barn and all you have to do is Start it up and escape.... Folk will just be pointing their i Phones at it or asking Alexa to pre warm it ... Oooo! there must be an app that starts it... Whats a Key??? someone will say... Mark my words it will Happen.. Not sure about the Terminators though... Im sure they are harmless enough :wtf:

Last edited:
Reactions: Raj
Grapevine gossip from the depot is they been stockpiling fuel for 2 years so they need to empty the tanks , provoke panic buying and they can recoup some costs too . Its just business as usual .

We have enough fuel water and food stocked in this country to last a fair while if you buy what you need sensibly as we have seen with the comfy bum shortage fuel shortage apparently pasta is on the list round here tesco is empty aldi got loads best thing to do is unplug the television and watch a streaming service if you buy todays paper read it tomorrow cause then if its over you got nothing to worry about as a species we are fluffed well the younger ones who walk around heads down trying to get run over smart this smart that what happened to the days when you had to get off yer arse to switch channels if you went to work, and you left the iron then you can home to a real fire or you turned around and switched it off used to be if you wanted the lights on or off you got up and switched them on or off or you got one of the kids to do it then along came the clap and ruined child slavery now it turned out the clap for on and off was exceptionally dangerous if you suffered from episodes of epilepsy and your local flamenco club had the clap upgrade best ring an ambulance before you pay the entrance fee then came the remote controlled lights I mean how effort does it take to point a finger at a button and push now here is the BIG one how many of you have got all the remote controlled contraptions linked to their phones turn on the lights put on the heating so its toasty when you get home pay by phone ain't no good if you can't get a signal or if you lose it break it or the dog thinks it a chew toy or heavens help you the battery goes flat with no means to charge it until you get home but being the total muppet you are you got smart entry key fitted to the door it could go on but your not paying attention your looking at your phone because it is your life. Muppets
All you have to do is watch the Sorcerers Apprentice with Micky Mouse to see what happens when we rely on things to do our work

Last edited:
I like scrapping the ice off the Windows on a Frozen Winter morning...Gets me away from the Missus for 10 minutes, before she heads off to work, Then iv got the rest of the day to myself...... Win Win

friday night I took Landcruiser for drive as it’s been 8 days since I started it. I wasted fuel unnecessarily

No diesel at the pumps still around here. Plenty of petrol, and no queues. It's been 3 weeks since we filled up, clearly not burning much since we haven't not done anything.

Grapevine gossip from the depot is they been stockpiling fuel for 2 years so they need to empty the tanks , provoke panic buying and they can recoup some costs too . Its just business as usual .
Welcome back :thumbup:

Shame the Gas companies didn't think about stockpiling for a few years.

Welcome back :thumbup:

Shame the Gas companies didn't think about stockpiling for a few years.

This was discussed on the radio the other day and the demise of the old gas works that most towns had when large gasometers towered over the landscape. Apparently they only held enough gas for just a few days anyway so I'm not sure how you would stockpile enough gas to act as a buffer for spikes in wholesale gas prices which could last months. The "just in time" business model that seems to be applied to most things these days may be good for reduced overheads and hence increased profits but leaves the country wide open to any disruption in supplies, as we have and are seeing.

Oh and welcome back Shane.:thumbup:

Didn't we close a massive offshore gas storage facility (off the NE coast iirc) a few back - this was against the advice from the so called "experts".

Energy security is a growing concern the way things are going...

We have been off grid for a few days so no idea what’s going on in the real world, but driving up the M6 yesterday we stopped into one of the services, 164.9/ltr ensured there was nobody queuing up for the pumps. We filled up in Manchester for 31p/ltr less
Robbing bastards!

Back