Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Timing Belt change on 3.0D4d

tarrymittens

Hi,

Planning to change the timing belt on my 2002 3.0D4d Colorado. Does anyone have a guide or know of a web link for correct sequence to renew belt. Also how to reset dash light recorder. Thanks

Many Thanks for the reply, but that seems a hell of a lot of effort to go to for one small light!!! Was expecting something like holding down the trip reset button and switching on/off ignition to reset counter. My light is not actually on as I have not covered the mileage to trigger it, just it's five years since belt was changed last so due a new one.

tarrymittens said:
Many Thanks for the reply, but that seems a hell of a lot of effort to go to for one small light!!! Was expecting something like holding down the trip reset button and switching on/off ignition to reset counter. My light is not actually on as I have not covered the mileage to trigger it, just it's five years since belt was changed last so due a new one.

I was in a similar situation to you - light hadn't come on yet. Resetting doesn't actually take long to do - maybe 30 minutes if you need to stop and scratch your butt a few times.

Are we sure that this is the procedure for resetting the light on later models? The technique form Andy look more like how to reset the interval if you are out of sync. On the older Colorado, you take the binacle out, yes, but you simply swap a machine screw from one hole to the other and that's the job done. You don't have to dismantle anything. Fairly certain that on the D4D onwards, you do press something in and hold it etc etc.

Chris

Chris said:
Are we sure that this is the procedure for resetting the light on later models? The technique form Andy look more like how to reset the interval if you are out of sync. On the older Colorado, you take the binacle out, yes, but you simply swap a machine screw from one hole to the other and that's the job done. You don't have to dismantle anything. Fairly certain that on the D4D onwards, you do press something in and hold it etc etc.

Chris

I was out of sync, which is why I had to do this. When I moved the screw it turned the warning light on (which was off before). But I am not sure about the early KZJ95 D4D's - perhaps the OP could post up a pic of their binacle?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
you can try this

does the 97 model have a digital odometer/trip meter. (I ask cause deso 95 series prado was released in Oz in 2000 and came with FBW throttle and digital odo/trip from scratch)

if so there may be an easier way than taking the dash apart.

here it is: (just in case you can use it. I haven't tried it yet but i'm told it works spot on)

1. T-BELT MODE DISPLAY
a) With ignition turned ON, using the trip switch (select/reset button) change the display to ODO, and turn the ignition OFF
b) While pressing the trip switch, turn the ignition switch ON and hold it for 5 seconds.
c) Release the trip switch, then press the switch again within 5 seconds.
d) The digital display should change to T-belt mode. The initial display "15" (0,000km) is displayed (ie. 150,000km).

2. REWRITING REPLACEMENT VALUES
While in the T-Belt mode, each press of the trip switch will change the displayed value by 10,000km increments. Once " 20 " (200,000km) is reached the display reverts back to " 1 " (10,000km) again. Remember, this setting is the number of kilometres to be travelled before the light comes on next, and once reset this counter will start from zero.
I believe the timing belt interval for all the 100 series engine variants is 150,000km, but this should be checked against each different markets servicing recommendation. This being the case, you shouldn't need to change from the default setting of "15".
Obviously for the US, the ODO is in miles, and I guess the T-Belt warning would be set in 10,000 mile intervals.

3. T-BELT WARNING RESET COMPLETION
a) After setting the replacement setting value, hold the trip switch ON for more than 5 seconds then release the switch.
b) Check that the display has now changed back to ODO and that the warning light has gone off when the engine is started.
NOTE: If the T-Belt mode is completed, even though the belt replacement has not been performed, the T-Belt warning IS reset.

i googled this so haven't tried this myself but i also have the lcd display so i hope it works as ive changed my belt early so the light will be out of sync.

Joe

I did the timing belt on my d4d colorado a couple of months back. Easiest timing belt ive ever changed!! The only problem i came across was pulling back the hydraulic tensioner but i was replacing it anyway so i just slid the old belt off of the top pulley & removed it then unbolted the old tensioner. I didnt have to remove any other parts to get to the belt, just the plastic belt cover, There are good marks for tdc on both pulleys, i just put the new belt on, bolted on the new tensioner, released the pin from the tensioner and that was it job done!

As for the light i cant help with that as mine wasn't on either so Ive just left it, Ill deal with it when i does come on. The interval is longer than i would be comfortable to leave between belt changes anyway so wont be relying on the light to remind me.

You know if you watch the belt going round with the engine running, you'd be staggered at how slow it is. You can practically read the numbers on it. It's the most unstressed component in the whole car in my view. It's not like a 16v petrol hot hatch. I have replaced more than my fair share of these and never seen one look remotely worn.

What I am not saying is forget changing them, but if the interval is say 70k, then it really doesn't need doing every 20k just to be on the safe side. Use a genuine one and change it at the interval. OK if you buy a car with no history and its done 100k - what do you do? Well I'd have a look first if nothing else. They take nothing to change, but if it looked OK, I wouldn't be losing sleep for a couple of weeks until I could get it into the workshop.

Chris

Silvercruiser has it correct. The method of turning out the light changed post June 1999. Models before that required removal of the instrument binical. The D4D will just require fiddling with the odo button and ignition.

Back