Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Timing tensioner bolt broke, does that bottom back cover come off?

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
In the middle of replacing the timing belt and 1 of the tensioner bolts broke off practically flush to its bolt hole. Perhaps it was over tightened previously. It looks like this lower timing backing cover that the tensioner bolt screws into, comes off. Do I just need to remove the injection pump pulley and then I can remove the back cover? This would be very helpful as obviously it'd be easier to drill the bolt out if I can have the cover out on a pillar drill as opposed to trying to drill it in the engine bay.

Is the injection pulley on a woodruff key like the cam pulley?

And will I need a new seal now for this lower cover?

Tricky one there man. You can just take off the 4 small bolts to remove the timing belt pump pulley and the big bolt in the centre I think can stay as that goes onto the pump and keeps it on the timing gear behind. If you see what I mean.

So it's the front timing case that you need to remove... you'd need to do a really good job on sorting the tread out for the timing tensioner.. would it be worth finding a replacement front case so that you're assured that the tensioner isn't compromised? I'd say there's a far few of those kicking around to get hold of?

That's a good idea regards getting a replacement cover altogether, I'll try get the bolt out first though, there was no lock tight used on the bolt that didn't break so hopefully none was used on the broken one either. So, if I have the cover off the engine a bit of heat and an easy out or some good drill work it might not be too bad to remove.

It might be hard to find someone selling the cover on its own though, most likely selling the engine complete, but maybe some seized engines in the breakers or such might turn up one.

Actually worth a go, use a small hammer and tap around the outside of broken bolt and then try to turn the stud with a small screw driver or a pick. You might find that you can grab it and work it out, only a small bolt with no tension on it.

Even if the bolt screws into a blind hole it shouldn’t have bottomed out and tightened up on the thread so I’ll wager it was either loctited in or its just seized. In either case a bit of heat should do it IMO.

Try and weld a washer on the remaining broken bolt then weld a nut on the washer then hopefully it will undo turning it slowly:icon-smile: this method has worked for me in many cases in the past good luck :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just to update, my mate got the bolt out for me, we heated it and tried tapping it around with a chisel first but wasn't working. Then drilled it for an Easy out and heated it again and it came out with the Easy out.

Thank god, cause I didn't fancy removing that timing cover, at first I thought the cover was just the piece around the injection pulley, I didn't realise it's actually the entire cover that's behind the crank pulley, etc... Would have been a lot of extra work and fapping about trying to make tools to hold the crank pulley still whilst undoing the nut, etc...

Anyway cheers for the advice :)

Back