Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tool Recomendations

Ben Stratford

Supporter
Country Flag
england
looking to get a new screwdriver set, anyone have a recommendation for great quality?

What's your budget?
Can't fault my snap on one's, used daily, abused with hammers at times. Broken a couple but they're warranty. Have a set at home too.

Watching a set of snap ons - vgc second hand though £90.
I keep getting cheap B&Q or halfords brands but they keep breaking.
Facom seem cheaper, are they good quality

I have used a wera set for at least 8 years and its still going strong. it is more electrical biased though so depends on your usage.

I would say Facom are pretty much on par with Snap-On , not sure on the warranty now days though

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Wera are about the best and half price of snap on. Can' fault them

Facom stuff is good.

Snap on and even mac tools aren't cheap, for diy use they're really not cheap. Good quality though and that counts. (90% of my tools are snap on tbh)

I have a set of Halfords one's in the 80 that live in there, good for occasional use.

I have some Halfords Proffesional spanners and sockets and the quality is excellent. Not sure about their drivers though. Teng are good value also. Snapon are overrated/overpriced IMO so wouldn't consider them at the prices they charge. I still have a Kamasa 1/2" dv socket set I bought in 1979. I changed the ratchet around 5 years ago after abusing it with a hammer, apart from that it's all original!
Screwdrivers are probably the most abused items in the tool box, used as chisels, drifts, gouges, you name it so my thinking is some inexpensive reasonable quality ones which will last years when used as intended but are cheap to replace when you misuse & break them.

If they are likely to be abused at times.................

Get some through tang ones so you can use them as chisels without risk of the handle breaking. :icon-twisted:

Thanks very much to all for your suggestions. Will review and see what to go for

Although over the years I was a "Snap on" tools snob I've found Bergen tools to be totally reliable in the context of working on commercial vehicles. We've been using them for 20 years and never broken a thing.
The best thing about Bergen tools is the price.

Facom are excellent as are Wera, very very good. Teng tools have lifetime warranty and are very good (except their socket set cases which break at the hinge after a mere 12 years!!)

Yep same happened with my (excellent) Teng socket set. Used a couple of tie wraps for the hinges.

Yep same happened with my (excellent) Teng socket set. Used a couple of tie wraps for the hinges.
I've been after a way to repair mine. Think it might be a piano hinge with something to fix it to pushed up inside the blow mould.

After a few years of use i have no complaints at all about Halfords Pro stuff which is very reasonably priced if you buy when they have offers on . If something works as it should and lasts then i cannot justify paying 4 times the price just because it has Snap-on or something written on it , mind you i never owned a pair of Nike trainers either .

I've heard quite a few people praising Halfords Pro and used it a few times. I have had a layer of chrome come off a socket once which was a bit bizarre but no other complaints. One of the nicest socket sets I've encountered, with a fine ratchet that would rival a Snap On one has been Clive's in Romania. No idea what make but it was very reasonably priced I believe.

I get through quite a few screwdrivers over time and I tend to avoid sets as such, purely because they have more in than I need. Mine are mostly insulated and a couple are Unior, which along with the Wera ones I have are used daily. I'd say they are an a par, the Wera ones have tiny 'inserts' in (on) them that help grip the screw which seem quite effective. I'm not sure that they last though as I cannot see any evidence of them on the screwdrivers now. Grip is excellent on the Wera handles.

What a lot of people don't get is that snap on tools are designed differently and some times you can only get un done with them.

I am lucky enough to have a fair bit of snap on stuff as worked in a proper workshop but don't tho k it's really needed for most hobby type person.

Back