Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

top rear lights

smokyjoe

I had a faulty bumper light, the tail light works but when you press the brakes it goes out,
i sorted it but i may need a new unit in the near future as its in poor shape,
so now a couple off questions again :(
i have drilled out and made fittings in the top lights and now have stop and tail and flashers uptop,
is the wireing up to powering six bulbs as when plugging in trailer lights?
now i have a red reversing light so what clear light would look right on the back to take the reversing lights place :thumbup:

Thanks again for reading this.

smokyjoe said:
Is the wiring up to powering six bulbs as when plugging in trailer lights?
now i have a red reversing light so what clear light would look right on the back to take the reversing lights place

Mine seems to work fine with four rear lights, five stop lights, four fog lights and trailer lights (that have four marker lights and two fog lights as well).

However, I am in the process of moving the trailer lights off the bumper light wiring and onto the Toyota loom in the rear nearside wing. Hopefully that will give everything an easier time.

Are you looking for a separate white lamp to mount on the rear as a reversing light ??

Have a look here:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/lighting/frontlamps.php#drv

Hope this helps.

Bob.

before one week i tried to order two rear top lights from france 65 euro per unit plus 20euro shipping but i was unlucky..had already finished..must wait 2 months..
so i make thiw patent..
LC95 had wiring cables that waiting for u to the top rear lights.(except fromtrailer)
LC90 dont have (one friend of mine didnt found)and used trailer
http://s815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71 ... mber%20up/

I did similar, but used those LED cluster lamps for the additional ones. They represent hardly any load at all and have built in reflectors so they help the poor internal surface of the C pillar units. They look very snappy. Worth sticking in trailers to which always seem to suffer.

Chris

Chris said:
I did similar, but used those LED cluster lamps for the additional ones. They represent hardly any load at all and have built in reflectors so they help the poor internal surface of the C pillar units. They look very snappy. Worth sticking in trailers to which always seem to suffer.

Chris

LED i never thought of them thanks :thumbup:
poor internal surface i have to say the top lights are now as bright if not brighter than the bumper lights.
just need a reverse light now as red is no good for seeing whats behind :D

bobmurphy thanks for that link but i didnt really want a spotlight i was after something more discreet ;) does anyone else have a seperate reverse light?

You can go LED for all of the lights but I think you'd need to wire in a ballast resistor as there is so little resistance that the relay thinks the bulbs have blown.
I did fit an alternative reversing light but as I also made the rear bumper in which it was mounted it's not really an option for you. Sorry about that. You can just stick one at the bottom of the bumper but they do get caught if you venture off road.

I am not sure which upper light clusters you have. The UK ones have two reversing lenses with only one bulb fitted nearside, the same for fog but offside and then two for brake and side not wired at all. The import Prado ones only have four lenses not 6. I actually wired orange LEDs into the reversing lights to give indicators which looked pretty good. It sounds like you have Prado ones? If so, I'd go for some UK ones and use the two reversing lenses with white lamps in to give you rear illumination.

Might have read that wrong of course.

C

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
You can go LED for all of the lights but I think you'd need to wire in a ballast resistor as there is so little resistance that the relay thinks the bulbs have blown.
I did fit an alternative reversing light but as I also made the rear bumper in which it was mounted it's not really an option for you. Sorry about that. You can just stick one at the bottom of the bumper but they do get caught if you venture off road.

I am not sure which upper light clusters you have. The UK ones have two reversing lenses with only one bulb fitted nearside, the same for fog but offside and then two for brake and side not wired at all. The import Prado ones only have four lenses not 6. I actually wired orange LEDs into the reversing lights to give indicators which looked pretty good. It sounds like you have Prado ones? If so, I'd go for some UK ones and use the two reversing lenses with white lamps in to give you rear illumination.

Might have read that wrong of course.

C

ITs a uk spec truck with the two clear middle sections so i have fitted yellow bulbs in them, i used the six bulb holders from a pair of spare navara tail lights i had lying around which where pretty simple to fit after drilling the backs of the lights,

i would rather have the top lights working as stop\tail and flashers as the bumper lights are prety vulnerable and will no doubht get broken going by my breakage rate so far :oops:
have you got pics of your reverse light set up as i do fancy changeing the bumpers at some point.

Page two of this recent thread should answer that question. Perhaps a bit more work that you'd want just for a reversing light!

And no, there is zero chance of me making another one. As much fun as it was. Definitely no. :snooty:

Chris

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=331&start=10

Chris said:
Page two of this recent thread should answer that question. Perhaps a bit more work that you'd want just for a reversing light!

And no, there is zero chance of me making another one. As much fun as it was. Definitely no. :snooty:

Chris

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=331&start=10

Now that is just what im thinking about doing to mine but mine is long wheelbase also wanted to suspend the wheel on the bumper to stop rattleing hinges,
Is that reverse light bright enough looks perfect not to over the top.

I found it to be fine - but ask Tony, he cares for LB now. There were also two rectangular spots on the back of the roof rack. However, I fitted very dark film to the rear windows and to be honest you could have used aircraft landing lights and you wouldn't have seen anything. The rear lights up top were more for working at the back than anything. it was a Halfords special and gave a pretty good light. Cheap and easy to replace when you bust it. Attaching spare wheel would be possible, but a pain every time you want to open the tailgate which for me is about every 30 seconds!!

C

Whats the best way to get bulbs into the upper fittings? Just drill out and use a bulbholder out of a scrappies? or off VWP??

Easy to get the notches for rotating the holder once in??

Ronanjordan said:
Whats the best way to get bulbs into the upper fittings? Just drill out and use a bulbholder out of a scrappies? or off VWP??

Easy to get the notches for rotating the holder once in??

I did mine using Prado wiring harnesses, obtained via Ian Rubie.

There are a couple of points to watch.

This is where I started, note the the wiring plug is held in a clip, the new one won't fit there.

DSCN7315.jpg

The Prado harness compared to the original single bulb harness. BEWARE - not all the bulb holders have the same lug spacing :doh:

DSCN7323.jpg

I started by drilling a 6mm pilot hole as I was using a Bosch tube cutter for the main hole.

DSCN7332.jpg

The tube cutter worked well but, naturally, they don't come in every size and they were either 1mm too small or 1mm too large. I opted for small :thumbup: .

DSCN7334.jpg

I then cut out the slots (badly) with a Stanley knife. I should have taken photos of my later efforts as they were much neater :doh:

I marked each bulb holder separately AS THE LUG SPACING IS NOT THE SAME.

DSCN7340.jpg

The finished result. As I said, the plug doesn't fit the clip but that's not a problem.

DSCN7344.jpg

A final point. I had the wiring in place in the rear wings, but its not all there.

I only have a reversing light on the N/S, despite there being wiring in the O/S plug. The O/S wiring is dead, I'll need to investigate further.

The N/S fog light wiring worked, but the pins didn't align. I had to carefully unclip the female terminal from the socket and click it back into the correct hole for it all to work. There isn't a reflector in the N/S Fog light though so its not as bright as the original on the O/S.

I am intending to re-wire all the rear lights and trailer socket using VWP's mini-plug and socket kit. I'm trying to get new plugs for the bumper lights at the moment.

My trailer socket was hashed into the rear light loom instead of using the plug in the N/S wing :doh: . Now all the wiring is shot.

Hope this helps.

Bob.

when you say you going to wire your light socket into N/S wing, I assume you mean fromt wing...
How come go there??

Does the wiring loom for the brake lights run down in the rear quarter panels to the bumper or underneath the vehicle externally???

Ronanjordan said:
when you say you going to wire your light socket into N/S wing, I assume you mean fromt wing...
How come go there??

Does the wiring loom for the brake lights run down in the rear quarter panels to the bumper or underneath the vehicle externally???

No - rear N/S wing - see here . . .

DSCN7370.jpg

See those two white plugs ??? - The upper one is for the rear power socket in the trim panel and the lower one is for the trailer wiring.

Its not complete though (for heaven's sake . . Why not :? ) as it doesn't have Fog lights or earth connections. I'll be replacing that plug with a larger one incorporating the missing functions so it will be a clean cable run to the trailer socket.

DSCN7371.jpg

The blue block covered in foam rubber is a connector block for the rest of the wiring - they are all crimped together in there and can't be readily separated.

The split convoluted trunking running top to bottom carries the N/S rear bumper lights and the fuel tank sender unit wiring. there is an equivalent piece of trunking in the O/S rear wing for the O/S bumper lights and the fog light.

The upper (Prado) rear light plug is in behind the light unit and on mine had all the other functions provided. I think this isn't always the case and the Short Wheelbase models seem to be devoid of the extra wiring from what I have read.

DSCN7373.jpg

Keep 'em coming :thumbup:

Bob.

Reviving this a bit here with a question.

If I were to splice in wires from my bottom tail lights to a wiring harness for 3 bulbs (like BobMurphy posted above) to put into the upper fake tail lights, could I then put in LED bulbs and not have to worry about the indicators flicking twice as fast as there would be more load on the system in the form of 2 LEDs instead of 1 incandescent bulb (on either side) or would I likely still need to add a resistor?

Hope that makes at least a little bit of sense.

I have all LED in the rear, both upper and bumper lights. I previously hooked up all the upper lights to incandescent, but changed to LED. I don't get any fast flash, but the odd flicker from the cheaper units from Aliexpress. I've left the front indicators and wing repeaters as incandescent to keep the load on the circuit, as I couldn't be bothered with a resistor

Back