Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Torque converter bad?

Beau

Country Flag
guyana
Hey guys, need some help.

Don't often have trans issues so I'm not a pro but today I noticed the a pretty bad grinding/clanking noise coming from the bell housing area when I'm in Drive or reverse, with my foot on the break. When moving I don't really hear much but that could be because of the engine noise.

Truck seems to drive fine, but I don't know if it's in my head that it's slower. I brake tested the converter and it appears strong still. Checked trans fluid, and it was below low on the hot side, so added about 2 L and we're just above the L mark on the hot reading.

My thoughts are I had low trans fluid, and hurt the torque converter? Can't think what else it could be. It shifts fine. Any thoughts?

Also, for the guys on here that have parts laying about, can anyone help source me a 1KZT Torque converter. It'll need to be shipped to the states.

Maybe the flex plate is cracked? I have heard of the flex plate cracking on 1 or 2 5VZ autos.

Update, checked the inspection hole underneath and don't see any signs of cracking or anything strange. I would have thought if it was the flex plate, it would occur whenever the engine is running, where as I am only getting the noise when in R or D. Also have a little bit of a shudder I picked up on at low crawling speeds.

Time to take the box out I reckon, although I think I'm just going to pull the engine and take care of a couple other items at the same time. @karl webster Do you have any 1KZ-TE torque converters hanging around? Know anyone who might? Not too sure where to even buy them new/refurbished. Will definitely look at getting it rebuilt maybe.

Bearing? One of the housing normally sits in a small pilot bearing and the other of course ois pretty heavily supported. Might just be that

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Would a bad bearing sound like a loose bolt being chucked around/grinded?

@karl webster could be interested. Do you know of a courier/shipping service that would sent to Florida, US? Would probably need to be on a pallet.

Well quite possibly Beau. Hard to tell. But there aren't many moving bits in one of these things. Maybe there's something got inside the drum like a balance weight and it's banging around in there. I think you're right. It really needs to come out.

Well engine is out. Something is definitely loose inside the torque converter, and I found what most likely caused the problem.

The transmission oil pump seal failed and it started dumping ATF out. Most likely occurred in the last few weeks but we've had a lot of rain and I think it washed a lot off the ground so I didn't notice. Drove it around on low ATF and it must have killed something in the TC. Now struggling to source one for a reasonable price. Reading conflicting info regarding the stall speeds too.

Anyone know what the stall speed should be for a diesel out of these? People say about 500-700 below max torque, which would put it between 1300-1500. But I also read the 80 series diesel Torque converter stall speed is 1800 RPM. Also not sure which one it is between these two...

Back